14

Ellis waited patiently out side the school for Gilbert to arrive

Ellis waited patiently out side the school for Gilbert to arrive. She would only go in the building if he was with her.

The final bell rang.

He wasn't there yet.

Did that mean he wasn't coming?

Ellis decided to head up to the Blythe's house and if Gilbert was running late then she would bump into him and they could head down to school together.

~

"Gilbert?" Ellis said as she walked up to his barn and saw him stroking his horse. She didn't know he had a horse too.

"Ellis, what are you doing here?" Gilbert questioned turning to face the girl, confused.

"You didn't come to school. Are you okay?" Ellis questioned, he seemed to have been crying.

"Yes." Gilbert said without a second thought.

"Don't lie to me." Ellis said sternly.

"I wanted to stay close. Incase he-"

"Oh Gilbert." Ellis paused. "Can I see him?"

"Of course. Come on." Gilbert grabbed her hand and guided her into his house. "Father." Gilbert knocked on the door. "Ellis Bennett is here."

"As I live and breathe." John tried to sit up to take a proper look at Ellis. "The last time I saw you was sign up day. Nearly two months ago." John coughed.

"I am so incredibly sorry about that sir." Ellis immediately apologised to the man.

"Nonsense." John shook his head.

"It was a stup-"

"I thought it was brave." Gilbert cut Ellis off.

"Bravery is for fools." John mumbled.

"I'm going to go and chop some more fire wood. I shan't be long." Gilbert announced, giving Ellis' shoulder a light squeeze.

"When is Carter signing up? It's been a long time since I've seen that boy. How is he?" John smiled, remembering Carter in his younger years.

"He's not signing up sir. And he's great. Thank you." Ellis took the seat beside Johns bed.

"What did your pops have to say about that?" John chuckled, knowing first hand what William Bennett was like.

Ellis nervously chuckled, remembering all too well the chain of events that occurred afterwards.

"A lot."

"Gilbert Blythe!"

Ellis furrowed her brows as someone knocked on the door, it seemed frantic but it broke Ellis out of their conversation. They'd been sat in such a room talking for almost the whole of daylight.

"Ellis will you get that for me?" Gilbert shouted from out back.

"Two minutes." Ellis smiled at John and ran to the front. She smoothed out the crinkles in her dress in order to make herself more presentable.

"Ellis?" Anne said as Ellis opened the door.

"A-Anne."

"I didn't know you and Gilbert were courting." Ellis' eyes widened at Anne's statement.

"Exc-excuse me?" Ellis paused, she turned and grabbed her coat. "I was just leaving." Ellis said as she ran out of the building.

"What did you do?" Gilbert questioned as he watched Ellis run down the field, her feet tripping over theirselves as she begged her body to move faster.

"Nothing. I didn't know." Anne glanced at Gilbert who didn't take his eyes off of Ellis.