84

Ellis sat in Miss Stacy's front room with there being no where else to do school work, her house was the only place in which they could study

Gilbert was was on the ledge just in front of the windows which were closed with beige coloured blinds, between his legs sat Ellis with her knees curled up to her chin. Every so often he would play with her hair as he spoke to Anne who was furious about the situation.

"Will you tell her to focus, Anne" Jane said pointing towards Ruby who stood with a moody expression in her pink flowing dress "the exams are tomorrow and all she can do is turn geometric shapes into hearts"

"Who says that being romantic is any less respectable than being studious? Ask Gilbert" Ruby said looking towards the boy who's hands froze within Ellis' hair "He's the most studious and he's romantic"

"Ellis and Gilbert are not being romantic. There's nowhere else-" Anne said pointing towards the full house.

"Not with Ellis, Anne, with Winifred" as soon as Ruby said it, Ellis tensed her whole body. She'd almost forgotten about all of that situation but it was flooding her all over again and it was only little time before she knew she couldn't take being in that conversation anymore.

"How did you meet her anyway?"

"How long have you been courting?"

"He was squiring her folks around at the fair. It must be serious" Moody said towards the others. Anne being much smarter than the rest caught a glance at how Ellis was reacting to the news.

"It has to be, with a girl so beautiful. Isn't she Anne?" Ruby says towering over the three of them now awkwardly trying to avoid the conversation too.

"So... beautiful" Anne said almost sarcastically as she fought with herself to not ask if Ellis was okay.

Truthfully, Ellis wasn't doing too well and had sat forward to leave the room so she didn't have to hear anymore.

"When will you see her again?" Tilly asked Gilbert and Ellis hoped with everything in her that he'd tell them that their courting had come to a firm stop though his next words were quite the opposite,

"Well, I'm headed into Charlottetown tomorrow to take my exams. So I can dine with her and her folks after" Gilbert announced to the class.

"Dining with the parents, eh?" Moody nudged the boy next to him and they all fell into hysterics leaving Ellis sombrely looking at the ground. "We're all going to the ruins after" Moody said after everything died down.

"It's a secret!" Ruby smiled and Gilbert fidgeted in his seat watching as Ellis stood up from the floor and headed towards the exit.

"Bring your fiancé" Moody said trying to make his voice more posh as he did so.

Miss Stacy watched Ellis as she walked towards the kitchen and turned around her head heaving with thoughts.

"I heard about your brother" Miss Stacy said placing a hand on her shoulder "my condolences"

Ellis offered her a smile trying to work herself up to speak even though she knew that the situation prior had caused her stutter to be on the tip of her tongue.

"T-t-t-tha-a-ank y-you" Ellis reluctantly said and Miss Stacy let a sad smile appear on her lips noticing how the girl was struggling.

"You're taking the exams, correct?" She questioned the girl who shrugged,

"I'd only s-s-struggle" Ellis admitted, she knew that no matter how badly she wanted to do the exams, she couldn't read the exam itself to do it.

"Well that's why I'm offering my services. I spoke to the board and they agreed that it wouldn't be out of order if I was to read the questions to you"

Ellis looked at Miss Stacy in disbelief, she couldn't comprehend that if she was to do such a thing to help her it could massively impact her life.

"Yes!" Ellis squealed and then she jumped towards Miss Stacy and wrapped her arms around her neck and hugged her, to which she hugged back.