74

Gilbert knocked on the Bennett's door and took a step back, placing his hands behind his back

Carter swung the door open with a small smile.

"Gilbert." Carter knew that James would be furious with him if he spoke to Gilbert. "It's such a nice day, let's talk outside." Gilbert furrowed his brows and looked at the miserable weather. It looked like it was going to rain, but Gilbert didn't object.

"Carter, I was wondering if you had any cuff links that I could borrow?" Gilbert questioned. He knew something was wrong with the way that Carter was acting.

"Why do you want them?" Carter questioned curiously. The boys only had one pair of cuff links and they were their Pops'.

"I'm meeting a girls parents and I want to make a first good imp-"

"Carter?" Ellis shouted and opened the front door and stepped outside. Her eyes landed on Gilbert and her smile fell.

"Ellis in!" Carter shouted, Ellis didn't move but instead looked over his shoulder. 

"Hi." Gilbert whispered. He hadn't spoken to the girl in what seemed to be weeks and he had no clue why she was avoiding him.

James took a quick glance out of the window and his eyes fell upon Gilbert.

"Ellis Carla Bennett inside now." Ellis nodded and scurried inside. "You too Carter."

"Sorry bud." Carter mumbled before leaving Gilbert alone on the front porch.

"What did he want?" James questioned, clenching his fists. He was furious. How dare he think that he could come here after hurting Ellis the way he did.

"He wanted to know if he could borrow a pair or cuff links." Carter explained, Ellis glanced out the window to see Gilbert riding away on his horse.

"I don't think we should talk to him, at all." James said as he placed his hands on the back of the chair that Ellis was sat on.

"I don't want to do that." Carter admitted sheepishly.

"I can't do that." Ellis mumbled. As much as Gilbert hurt her, he was still her best friend. And she still loved him.