24

Jerry knocked at the Bennett's doors

"Get the door Ellis!" Reuben shouted.

"H-hello?" Ellis stuttered as she opened the door to a boy around her age.

"Um. Hello. I h-heard about your grand-f-father." Jerry paused. Ellis looked at the boy curiously, he had an accent.

French.

"I was wondering if you need any help with your farm-"

"I'm afraid we can't accept any help at the minute bud, we wouldn't be able to pay-" Patrick stood tall behind Ellis. He was well put together, shirt tucked in to his black trousers, his shoes polished and his brown hair combed back. It seemed as if there wasn't one flaw on him.

"No- I'm not asking for...um..." Jerry paused trying to think of the English word. "Money. I'd help for free." He nodded assuringly.

"Are you sure?" Patty questioned as he placed his hands into his trouser pockets.

"Yes." Jerry smiled. "What needs doing Mr Bennett, Miss Bennett." Jerry looked at the girl who remained silent and let her brother speak.

"Feed the animals. Their foods in the barn. The others and I will be out to help shortly. Thank you for this-"

"Jerry."

"Jerry." Patrick nodded with a smile, he extended

~

Ellis made tea and scones for the boys, who were all hard at work on the farm.

"Carter. James." Ellis walked up to the twins who were fixing Toffee's fence. She brought them their tea and scones. "Will you bring it in afterwards please."

James offers her his famous cheeky grin.

"We'll see."

"Yes Ellie we will." Carter reassures.

James and Carter were polar opposites but still managed to get along. James was the more out going, the uncontrollable one, where as Carter listened to the rules and never wanted to do anything wrong.

"Thank you." She walked off to find Jerry. "I-I made y-you t-tea." She stuttered as she shakily handed him the plate and cup.

"Merci."

Ellis laughed, she didn't know why it was just an initial reaction to his foreign language.

"F-French."

"I can teach you if you'd like?" Jerry offered as he took a bite of his scone.

"I-I thi-nk t-that it wo-would be better t-to lear-n en-engli-sh first." She struggled with the sentence.

"I think your English is great." Jerry smiled supportively.

Anne had told him all about Ellis Bennett, and how she had Gilbert Blythe's full attention.