41

"That fox is dead meat

"That fox is dead meat." Billy said as he walked into the classroom, the gun hung around his shoulder. "I think I'll make it into a hat."

"Fox? What fox?" Anne questioned quickly turning around.

"The one with the dark tail. That's been stealing chickens." Moody explained.

"Well, there's no fox here so hows about you put the gun away. I'd like to live to meet the new teacher." Billy went to respond to Gilbert but Miss Stacy walked in and dropped the globe.

"Ha. I just laid the world at your feet didn't I?" Miss Stacy said making everyone laugh. Ellis hadn't even turned to face her. She was probably just going to be like Mr Phillips and laugh at her for not being able to read or write. "Good morning everyone."

"Here you go, Little lady." Billy said as he placed the globe into the bag.

"My name is Miss Stacy. Please take that gun outside. The classroom is no place for a weapon." She said as she walked up to the front.

"Sure. I was just about to do that." Billy mumbled sheepishly.

"What a pretty room! So many windows. I love to see green." Miss Stacy smiled. "Alright let's get to know each other. Please stand up." Slowly Ellis stood up. "Now please move all the desks to the side and take a seat on the floor."

"The floor?!" Josie questioned angrily.

"We're going to form a circle and make introductions." Ellis attempted to move her desk alone, but clearly wasn't strong enough. Gilbert smiled at how hard she was trying. He rushed over to her before anyone else could and helped her move the desk.

"Thank you." She smiled innocently, showing off her single dimple.

~

Ellis took a seat beside Gilbert on the floor.

"And you'll say two words that represent you, using the first letters of your given name and surname. I'll start. Muriel Stacy. Mischievous. Scholastic." Miss Stacy smiled.

"Those would be my descriptors if we had the same initials." Anne smiled as she sucked up to the teacher. "It's like we were separated at birth."

"Let's start with Ruby Gillis."

Ruby stood up from her seat on the floor.

"Romantic." She paused and looked to Gilbert. "Girl? Ruby Gillis."

"Well done." Miss Stacy smiled.

"Ruby has a crush on—" Anne tried to tell the new teacher but she cut her off.

"Gilbert Blythe."

Gilbert stood up and looked around at his class mates.

"Oh um. Global.-"

"He travelled the world for a year." Anne told Miss Stacy.

"And Bookish." Gilbert finished.

"Everyone thinks he's the smartest student. But I won the spelling bee."

"Ellis Bennett."

Ellis slowly stood up and fiddled with her fingers anxiously. She thought for a minute before saying.

"I-illiterate." She smiled. She was proud of herself.

"Illiterate starts with an I, Ellis, but do continue." Miss Stacy smiled supportively.

"B-Bel-Belligerent." She stuttered panicking.

"She stutters most of the time she can't read or write. I don't know why she's in school." Anne mentioned.

Ellis sat down and tugged on the ends of her dress. Gilbert grabbed her hand and ran his thumb over her knuckles soothingly.

"Well done Ellis." Miss Stacy said. "Priscilla Andrews."

"Pragmatic. Actualised." Prissy said with a smile.

"She left our former teacher at the altar." Anne mumbled.

"Perhaps you'd like to share your comments with the class." Miss Stacy turned and faced Anne.

"Oh well it's no secret that Ellis stutters and can't read or write-" Angrily, Ellis clenched her fist and stood up to hit Anne. Gilbert reacted quickly and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Mr Blythe will you please take Miss Bennett outside to calm down." Miss Stacy questioned. Gilbert nodded and guided Ellis outside.

"Stupid red head!" Ellis punched the wall of the school. "Why do you even fancy her?" Gilbert grabbed Ellis hands and pulled her into his chest.

"I don't Ellis. Where did you get that idea from?" Ellis calmed down once Gilbert hugged her.

"You didn't deny it when I said that you're falling for her." Angrily, Ellis pulled away and hit the wall again. Gilbert cupped her face in his hands making her stop what  she was doing.

"I'm not falling for her." Gilbert glances at Ellis lips.

He wanted to kiss her.

Tell her that she was the one he was falling for.

But he couldn't.

He didn't want to ruin their friendship.

~

Ellis waited behind after school like Miss Stacy asked her too.

"So I'm hoping you wouldn't mind tutoring me. I'm worried that I'm behind and I'm very serious about medicine as my vocation." Gilbert said as Ellis sat at her desk.

"My husband accelerated his studies and got early entrance into college." Miss Stacy responded to Gilbert.

"Husband?!" Anne questioned excitedly. Ellis rolled her eyes.

"I'm widowed, actually."

"Oh how tragical." Anne smiled.

"Anyway. With hard work, it's possible you could finish school early and be pre-med next year." Miss Stacy announced.

"I'll do whatever it takes!" Gilbert smiled happily.

"Let's meet before class in the mornings and get you started." She stated.

"Thank you. Thank you so much!" Gilbert grinned. He walked over to Ellis who had a fake smile on her face. "Did you hear that?" She nodded.

"Ellis." Miss Stacy called her to the front. Ellis walked up to the woman. "I'll have you know, that violence of any kind is not tolerated in my class."

Ellis went to defend herself.

"B-but-"

"Are your hands okay?" Miss Stacy questioned grabbing the girls hands. Her knuckles were split. "When you get home make sure you clean them." Ellis nodded. "I'll see you tomorrow Miss Bennett."