37

"So what you're really saying is CP Railways is prejudiced?" Gilbert questioned as he held Ellis hand

"So what you're really saying is CP Railways is prejudiced?" Gilbert questioned as he held Ellis hand. She hated going to Charlottetown.

"I'm saying there's no place on this train for your...guest." The man looked at Bash in disgust. "Isn't that right Isaac." Isaac didn't respond. "On this train, we put the coloured to work."

"We might find space enough for him in the back...with the cargo." Isaac mumbled.

"I am a passenger. I'm not going to any back." Bash stood up for himself. "This man and woman are my guests. I paid for their tickets and mine."

"Is that true?"

"Sir, unless this train is legally segregated, we will be taking our legally purchased seats." Gilbert said as he pulled Ellis up the stairs to the train with him.

"Oh Gilbert, Sebastian." Marilla paused. "Ellis? I wondered where you'd got to. I have seats saved for you. This way." She instructed them and lead the three to her seat with Rachel.

"Good morning Mrs Lynde." Gilbert smiled as the three tried to fit onto two seats. Ellis was sat in the middle, since she was the smallest. She hadn't let go of Gilbert's hand, nor did she intend too.

"Oh. Hello, Gilbert. Ellis. And Um, uh, and-" Rachel stuttered.

"Oh heavens, Sebastian what ails you?" Miss Cuthbert questioned.

"Poor manners and a sore tooth, many thanks, Miss Marilla." Bash said with a smile.

"Sebastian, I must speak. I insulted you when we first met, assuming you were the help. Avonlea has never been home to a...uh...you are the first...well...all that to say you must come to tea someday soon." Rachel smiled. "You too, Gilbert, Ellis."

"Thank you. I appreciate the apology and the invitation."

"Disgusting." One man said as he got up and moved seats.

~

It wasn't long until Ellis fell asleep on the train. Her head resting on Gilbert's shoulder.

Gilbert couldn't help but smile at the girl, whenever she shuffled closer to him. She flinched a lot in her sleep, Gilbert assumed it was due to bad dreams. So every time she'd flinch, he'd give her hand a light squeeze, to reassure he that she she was safe.

~

Gilbert knocked on the door before entering the doctors office.

"Gilbert Blythe. It's been awhile." Dr Ward smiled widely.

"It has." Gilbert shook the doctors hand.

"I was very sorry to hear about your father. Who do you have with you?"

"This is my friend Sebastian, it's an emergency." Gilbert said as he motioned to Bash.

"Yes, yes I can see that."

"Cure him of thinking he knows what's good for everyone else." Bash said as he took a seat.

"That's a sentiment I've heard in this office before." Gilbert rolled his eyes, making Ellis chuckle. "Is this your girlfriend Gilbert?" Ellis panicked and quickly shook her head no.

"No. No." Gilbert nervously chuckled. "This is my friend Ellis Bennett."

"William Bennett's granddaughter?" Ellis nodded. "How is he?"

"He's de-dead sir." Ellis stated blankly.

"I'm sorry to hear that. He was a good man. Saved many lives." Ellis didn't respond, she just nodded. "Open up let me see it." Dr Ward instructed Bash. "It's criminal."

"Blame her." Bash said pointing to Ellis jokingly.

"You w-were the one with the st-string tied around y-your tooth." Ellis defended herself.

"You have a fever from the infection. I can give you something for both. You're going to have to have some sutures."

"Sorry to get rude, but I can't stay. They must have doctors who can help me in the Bog." Bash looked to Gilbert.

"The only person who can help you in the Bog, is a barber who pulls teeth with rusty tongs." Dr ward stated.

"Blythe, new plan. I'll get fixed up here and then we go to the Bog." Bash stated. Gilbert nodded, his grip on Ellis tightened once he saw the needle.

"Oh god." He mumbled and fainted. Ellis panicked and quickly caught the boy.

"Blythe!" Bash turned to face Ellis who was struggling to hold him up.

"W-what now?" She questioned panicking. Although she didn't let them see that. Her heart was racing. Would he even wake up?

"Lay him down on the floor." The doctor instructed.

Ellis nodded and knelt down on the floor so that his head could rest on her lap. To sooth herself she combed her fingers through his hair.

~

Once the doctor had finished assisting Bash. He woke Gilbert up.

"Oh." Gilbert sat up once he smelt the foul smell.

"I'm not convinced medicine is for you Blythe." Bash gloated.

"What happened?" Gilbert questioned, as Ellis offered him a the cup of water.

"You fainted." The doctor said. "Your... friend here caught you. You want to be a doctor eh? You sure? It's never pretty."

"He has a knack for it. Most of the time." Bash said as he pulled on his jackets.

"Well, this is exciting news." The doctors exclaimed.

"Nowadays his nose is always in a book." Ellis assisted Gilbert in standing up. "Ready Blythe?"

"Dr Ward? Do you need an apprentice?" Gilbert questioned cheerfully. "Maybe I could help around here every now and again and, in exchange, you could help me craft my study plan? I promise I won't keep fainting."

"It would be my privilege to mentor you. I've been thinking I might like to share my practice someday." Dr Ward smile as he playfully nudged Gilbert. Ellis grabbed his hand tightly. Her other hand holding onto his wrist.

"Ah. Settled. Let's go to the Bog."

"I've never seen anyone in such a hurry to get to a slum." Dr Ward pointed out.

"I imagine it's a beautiful place where black people dance beautifully in the snow." Bash laughed as he pulled on his coat.

"He's fine. Just a little laudanum."

"What do I owe you Doctor?" Bash questioned looking for his pocket.

"No charge, if Gilbert will clean up around here. I've got some time before my next patient if you'd like to start our discussion too."

Gilbert turned and faced Bash hopefully.

"Could you meet me back here in an hour?"

"You can come and fetch me. If you can find me. I'm going to blend it." Bash chuckled.

"I'll go with him." Ellis said with a small smile. "But if you need me I can stay."

"I'll be fine." Gilbert gave her hand a light squeeze.

"You might need me." She pointed out.

"I'm with a doctor." Gilbert chuckled.

"But you just fainted." Ellis said worriedly.

"I'm still with a doctor." Gilbert's hand cupped her cheek. "I'll be fine Ellie." He placed a light kiss on her forehead. "Now go and look after Bash."