Through the years

13 years ago

"Come on Tab! Try and catch me!" Caleb's dark curls bounced as he ran through the backyard like a maniac on fire.

My shrill laughter echoed throughout the wind as I dashed after him. He was within grabing reach and I felt the anticipation building up.

"I'm gonna get you Cabub!" I could never quite say his name. Something about the arrangement of the letters and sounds always tripped me up.

"Nah nah na boo boo!" He shook his rump with a silly grin on his face. I couldn't help but cover my mouth with my chubby little hands and giggle.

We were chasing each other in circles when the ground suddenly dissapeared from beneath me. I felt it as it happend, a loose branch had snapped and pierced my palm. The loud wail escaped my lips in a matter of seconds.

Caleb turned and ran back towards, his short legs carrying him as fast as they could. "Oh no Tab are you otay!? He took his grubby hand and wiped at the clear droplets of water, smearing them on my face in the process.

I sniffled and shook my head.

"Come Tab, come with me." Little Caleb helped me to my feet and then brought me inside to my mom. "Aunty Jane, Tab's hurt!"

My mother looked up from her file of papers. "Oh sweetie what happend?"

"I fell mommy." I rubbed my eyes, suddenly very worn out.

"Here, let mommy take a look at it." Caleb followed us into the kitchen as my mom placed me on top of the counter to examine the damage.

I cried out as she removed the splinter from my palm. Caleb squeezed my good hand. "Oh no Tab, don't cry. I still right here otay?" He nodded his head as if letting me know he was serious.

"There." Mommy smiled as she kissed the top of my wild curls. "Boo-boo all better?" I wiped at my eyes and nodded. "Good, now how about Mommy put's on the Lion King? Would you like that?"

I nodded, afraid that if I went back outside, I would fall again.

* * * * *

9 years ago

"I made this for you Caleb!" My entire face lit up as I showed him the bright pink and red heart that mommy helped me make for him. It was cut from pretty paper and had lace and glitter all over.

"Thanks Tab! This is for you!" It was a macaronni necklace that was painted red and had shiny pink glitter all over it.

We smiled and laughed on his front porch as we ate little hershey kisses.

"Hey Tab?"

"Yes Caleb?"

He laced his fingers in mine. "You're my best friend right?"

"Uh-uh!"

His big brown eyes lit up. "Tag! You're it!" He suddenly yelled as he ran off the porch.

I laughed and ran after him.

* * * * *

7 years ago

"Mom...Dad! No more pictures puhlease!" We both whined to our parents.

"Just a few more! It's you guys first day of 5th grade!"

"Yeah! We're the big kids now!" Caled smiled with triumph as he fixed his new Iron Man backpack on his shoulders.

When we were finally heading off, we both felt partially blind from the billion and two flashes.

"Remeber to hold hands when you cross the street!" Our parents called as we walked with the rest of the neighborhood kids to school.