45.

Amara

When I got home, I shuffled quickly to my room and out of everyone's eyesight, letting the tears freely cascade down my cheeks and stain my t-shirt. No to act like we broke up or that I wasn't going to see him again, but as he left to board his plane, the strings attaching us together slowly stripped away. Distance may keep two hearts apart but cant keep the love we share. A home is where your heart finds peace and comfort and my heart will always desire Lucien Matthaeus King.

In the end, it's his choice and all I could do is support him through it all.

It took me until Christmas to open the envelope. As I sit on the front patio, sipping on hot chocolate while my family from out of state all gather inside to listen to Luke and my uncle battle on the piano to see who can play the best Christmas medley, I nervously rip the envelope open and stare at its contents. I reached in for the note inside and buried underneath were a small golden key and . Mr. Chester's locket?

I wrap the locket around my finger and placed the key on my lap. I took a long drag of oxygen in and ventured to read the letter.

"I've read hundred of novels, most claiming that love is what makes us complete, that it could heal any interior damage. That it was what we needed to survive. From Catherine to Heathcliff to Shakespeare. I thought that love was only fictional, found in worn pages of books. All the same, my perspective on love changed the day I met MY Catherine Earnshaw. I never had the impression that I would find myself completely and utterly consumed by another, until I discovered you. You took my hand, led me out of the darkness and showed me whatever our souls are made of. Yours and mine aren't the same. I'm not worthy of such a pure heart as yours. Yet, you chose me out of all the better men in the world. You offered me support, taught me so many life lessons. You've changed me, princess, for the better. I'm no perfect man and I know for sure that I'm far from your ideal type, but I do try to be the one you truly deserve. I owe you my heart and soul. You once asked me who I love the most in the world. I will like to be honest and say that it's you."

"Yours, Lucien," as I read in my mind, I felt myself choking on tears. I close the letter and slowly examined the key. Engraved on it wrote property of Lucien King and Amara Belle, Lancaster Art Gallery, 1988.

I grab my phone from my coat pocket and dial William's phone number. On the fourth ring, he picked up.

"Mr. Chester, hi. Merry Christmas. I hope this isn't a bad time to call," I sniff, trying to clear my nostrils.

His voice sounded vacant and I felt really awful that he had no one to spend Christmas with. He tried to hide it by cheerfully wishing me a Merry Christmas. "Is-is everything okay? You shouldn't be sad, especially on Christmas."

"No no, I'm okay, thank you for worrying. It's just-"

He cuts me off. "I know, you're missing Lucien. My, the same feeling I got whenever Josephine wasn't around."

I lightly smile. "It just feels surreal you know? Like I'm missing a part of me. Through the tough times and the wonderful times, he still chose me, we still chose each other.... and without one we aren't whole."

"Well that's true love and whenever anyone asks you for the definition, at least you'll have your own story to tell," he states and I nod to myself.

I go on to ask, "So, I really called you to get some information on this.. this key that has Lucien and I's names engraved at the back with a place? What's this all about William?" my lips quiver as I try comprehending what this all meant.

I heard lots of shuffling on his end before he finally clears his throat to explain. "I would've preferred if you heard this come out of your lover's mouth than mine but, I guess time is never in our favour. Well, a few weeks past, Lucien paid me a visit when I was still in the hospital a-a-a-and he said that... he wanted to do something.. special for you and I could've told how much he loved you, even though he constantly denied that it was too early to tell. But really, why push through all of the struggles and pain for someone you don't love? So, when I informed you about the visit to my hometown to view the screening of Wuthering Heights and that the owner was anxious to meet you..." he paused for a moment before continuing, "the visit was a surprise to you, that I'm the owner and that I was gifting the art gallery to you and Lucien for saving my life."