43.

Amara

Lucien thought that it would be a great idea for us to pay a visit to William, seeing as it's been a week that I haven't seen him.

Here we sit near the quaint fireplace in the living room of William's cozy home, sipping on marshmallow filled hot chocolate with a knitted blanket laying atop our laps. Laughter pervades the room as William reminisced on an event he recalled that occurred during his childhood.

"I was about 5 or 6 years old when my mother purchased a couple of air fresheners. Where one of the cans had "Apple Cinnamon" written on it, I though it was the Tea breeze she makes me every morning that has an apple-cinnamon taste. I had no idea it was something to spray and not eat and since I loved the smell and taste of apple and cinnamon, I sprayed the can of apple cinnamon down my throat, expecting it to taste sweet and scrumptious.

Well let me tell you, that was a mistake. I'm not entirely sure what I expected from a can of chemicals, but the taste of the freshener was basically the opposite. It tasted truly awful, and I coughed and gagged alot until I got up nd rinsed my mouth with a good amount of mouthwash and water to remove the toxic aftertaste. Everyone was surprised that I didn't die or got poisoned. Thankfully I didn't, but ever since then I stayed away from air fresheners and ANYTHING apple cinnamon," he explains, chuckling at himself.

I giggle, shaking my head. "You must've been scarred for life by air fresheners and apples and cinnamons."

"Darling, I can't even tell you the last time I've seen an air freshener, or an apple or cinnamon stick! I completely banned it from my eyesight and my life!"

"That's so cool though," Lucien comments next to me, who was currently half-cuddling me on the couch to keep me warm.

I love him so much.

"Lucien!" I semi-yell to him and he raises his hand in defense.

"What? I think it was cool, however I was a bit worried when you mentioned the poison. You must've kept your parents on their toes all the time huh?"

"Me? I won't even lie and say I was innocent. I mean, we all do things that are questionable but that's part of life right? Life is better with mysteries," William says whilst adding more sticks to the fire.

"Co-sign," I respond. I took the opportunity to let my eyes wander around the room and stare in admiration at the Christmas decor William did.

"Your house looks beautiful William," I compliment, "and that tree is amazing," I smile at the evergreen, ornamented tree stationed by the window.

I bit my lip and imagined a bit into the future. I imagined Lucien and I living together, having our own tree up in our living room, snuggling next to the fireplace, drinking hot chocolates and telling each other stories about our childhood.

"Thank you Amara. It was a tradition for Josephine and I. We would invite our families and let the nieces and nephews help decorate the tree. Now that she's gone and well... I have no family left, I guess the tradition had to come to an end by force," he half-chuckles, leaning back into his recliner.

I rest down my cup on the glass coffee table and lean forward. "Some traditions never have to end William. Yes, Josephine and your family aren't physically here but it's the ones that you consider close to you are the ones that should keep traditions alive, meaning handing it over to the next generation. Traditions help us to feel like we belong in this world when we've come from somewhere else. It also gives us a sense of belonging and identity and helps us to fit in when we've always been in the same place for a long time. It's what brings people together."

William smiles warmly at me and I could feel Lucien's eyes boring holes to the back of my head. I turn around and also capture his smile.

"I mean it!" I emphasise.