2.

Amara

"This way my faux pas
the seep in my loins!
Slather every protuberance
with slipped sudern joints
Agony......torment....."

"I can't listen any more," I groan, burying my face into my hands.

"A refill?" he smiles.

"Yeah."

Glancing towards the coffee machine where Cotton stood next to, I narrow my eyes as I saw him sending cheeky smiles towards the girl behind the trolley which she happily returned. Coming back to where we sat, I avert my eyes to the lanky fellow who recites his poem.

"There we go," I sip on my espresso coffee as he places it into my hands, letting the hot beverage send ecstasy throughout my body.

"What was that over there?" I inquire with a smirk playing off on my lips. Looking over to me, he tilts his head in confusion.

"The blonde is totally into you. Why don't you ask for her number or something?" I suggest.

"It wouldn't be fair," he responds plainly.

"How?"

"I'm waiting for someone better," he blushes impeccably.

"You flirt with her, so what next? You gonna allow her to stalk you now?"

"I doubt it."

"Player," I tease and he flips me off with a tongue tease.

I clear my throat. "Emerson over there is getting worse. As his friend, you should consult him." He shrugs, picking at the loose string of his sweater. "Maybe his poetry is great. We just don't know it yet."

We ended up ditching moments after. Driving cautiously into the young night, this was the time my best friend decided to be annoying. "You need to understand that your jokes aren't funny anymore," I cut him off. He places a hand over his heart in disbelief. "You imbecile! You said you love my jokes!"

I giggle. "Yeah, to get you to shut up." He reached over to my side and rapped on my ears.

"Concentrate on your driving! I have a big day tomorrow!" I screech a little too loudly. "Okay okay no need to yell at me."

Once he sat comfortably in his seat again, I throw my feet on the dashboard and place the can between my legs. At a red light, he flicks through the radio stations and finally settled for some Latin music.

I purse my eyebrows together. "What is it with you and these Latinos?"

Spotting the green light, he put the gear in drive and continued on the road to my house.

"Since I wasn't granted the opportunity to learn about the language at the younger age I want to learn off of these songs. Plus meeting a Spanish chica might just come in handy. You know?"

I sigh and picked at the flakes of green nail polish that so decided to come off itself. I let the sound of Marc Anthony's unreadable but melodic lyrics fill the inner atmosphere leaving us in total silence.

"Are you excited? First day of college and all," he says after a while.

"I'm used to seeing new faces, with the transfers from different high schools and so forth. What I'm still not used to is the attention," I confess.

He places his heavy hand on my thigh and left it there without breaking his gaze from the road.

"I just don't understand why people feel the need to criticise someone who doesn't always look like them. Yeah you don't see an aesthetic, hipster looking, sassy talking young adult walking around with tubes sticking out of her nose but it's reality. Beauty is defined as however God wants to define it.....They all deserve bullets to the head," he mutters the last part mainly to himself but I caught on.

"You're always there to defend me and now you aren't going to. What will I do without you?" I started fake crying which only made him crack up at my foolishness. "Don't be silly, Berkeley isn't all that far from Stanford."

"Right. Only 31 miles from me," I say, my sarcastic side getting the best of me.

"I am accompanying you to help you get settled in, make sure you're safe and secure. I'll visit when I could," he removes his hand from my thigh and shot me a smile.

"Man I love you dude," I raised up from my seat and lightly give his cheek a peck.

"Sure you do you big baby."

***

If you're liking this story, don't forget to vote and leave a nice review! xoxo