Chapter 9

Chapter 9- Jordi

Over the past two weeks, Layla has warmed up to all of us, not fully, she's still jumpy and stutters sometimes. I always see her walking after school with that little boy, Ben. They looked so much alike, it was crazy.

Now, Taylor was walking with Layla towards the lunch line to get food. He piled on a bunch of different plates the lunch ladies had laid out for the day. He added more food than he usually does. He reached the end of the line and, with Layla, turned and walked towards our table.

Sitting a few feet away from me, leaving a seat just big enough for Layla to sit next to me as always, he placed his tray down and slid a plate of Macaroni to my mate. Even though it's been two weeks, Layla still insists she's not hungry every lunch period.

"No thank you, Taylor." She shook her head slightly and pushed it back to him, as always when someone offered her food. Turning in her seat, she greeted me with a soft smile, "Hey Jordi."

Smiling back, I said, "Hey. I don't want to force you into anything, ever, but I would really like for you to eat something. I hardly ever see you eat. You can have some of my food if you don't want Tay's."

Layla took in a sharp breath at this. She looked down at my plate, scanning the options, and looking back up at me, making me the one to take in a sharp breath now. "A small bite won't hurt I guess."

I had to resist saying, That's my girl, that would just ruin the little progress I was making with her. I slid a plate of chicken nuggets to her, that being one of the most appealing foods on my plate. I decided to squirt a little bit of ketchup next to them to just be kind.

She mumbled a thank you and picked up a nugget, dipping it in the ketchup pile. She ate slowly, looking at her plate the whole time. It was like she was in her own world. I apparently was in my own world as well, looking at her and unconsciously eating as well.

After that, lunch was uneventful. Layla ate a few of the nuggets, then drank a few sips of water that Lauren offered her. She may not know it, but Layla was starting to take on the role of Luna. When Lauren offered her water, Layla just said "No, you drink it. You need it to keep you healthy." Lauren eventually convinced her to take a few sips, insisting that she wasn't going to finish it by herself.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful too. I was stressed from pack business going on right now and I am so lucky to have Layla in my ending classes. Her intoxicating scent made me relax. I wanted that scent forever. I wanted Layla forever.

When the bell rang for school to be let out, I decided to ask Layla if she wanted a ride, again. Jogging to meet up with her, I came to a slow walk beside her. "Hey, Layla. I always see you walking so I was hoping you'd take up my offer on that ride now?"

She jumped a little when I spoke, but then looked over at me. I guess I startled her. "I'm, I'm not s-sure. I have to get Ben." She also stopped stuttering as much when she talked to me. She hasn't stuttered much when she was around myself or Taylor. But she still stuttered a little with Brett, Lauren, Kelsey, and Judd.

"It's okay, I don't mind. He was cool when I met him last week. I could take both of you wherever you need to go." I smiled down at her. She was adorable when she was thinking and biting her bottom lip. I want to bite that lip.

"Um, I guess one ride won't hurt. I'll just g-go get Ben."

After waiting for a few minutes, both Layla and Ben were walking toward me. Ben was holding Layla's hand, explaining something excitedly to her while she looked genuinely interested. She's so good with him, I can tell she'd be a fantastic mother, hopefully to my pups one day.