Chapter 2

Chapter 2- Layla

Today was, well, it was nerve wracking for me. Being the new girl is never fun. Trust me, I should know. This is the third time this school year I would be starting at a new school. Yeah, it sucks, I know.

Stepping into the shower, I winced as the cold water pelted my sore body. I was so used to it, I didn't mind the numbing sensation it left me with. I've been taking cold showers for a few years now. According to Marcus, my step father, we can't afford a lot of hot water, but I know it's just because I'm me.

He hates me. Ever since my mom died of cancer a few years back, he's been my guardian, and sadly, a crappy one. But not only is he my guardian, he's my little brothers as well. Legally that is. I'm really Ben's guardian. I'm the one who takes care of him and I basically took over the mother role in his life.

Anyway, Marc has hated me since my mom died. And that's because I look so much like her. I have her shoulder length dirty blonde hair, big green eyes, small nose, and a face full of freckles. The only things I didn't get from her was my nose and ears. But yeah, Marc hates me because of how much I resemble her. Ever since her death, he's drowned himself in alcohol. In his drunken state, he pushes me around and calls me names. Everywhere we've lived, he's cut off my hot water, and has made me serve him. Basically, I'm his personal chef and if he doesn't like the food I make, he beats me. I'm also his maid. I have to clean up his mess and keep the house clean at all times. And he also doesn't let me eat properly. Since my mom died, I have only ever gotten to eat an apple and a nutrition bar, at the most. I hate it, but I have to take it. I'm only sixteen, so I have to wait until my eighteenth birthday to be on my own. And I'm taking Ben with me when that day comes.

Shaking my head to snap myself out of my thoughts, I rinse off and turn off the shower water. Stepping out, I dry myself and head to get dressed. Throwing on sweatpants and a hoodie that hang off my small frame, I grab my run-down phone. I can only call and text people on it. On my way to the kitchen, I peep into Ben's door to find he's still fast asleep. Walking in, I kiss his forehead and turn for the kitchen.

It's only six-twenty, so I have plenty of time before Marcus wakes up at seven. Turning on the stove, I whip up some scrambled eggs, bacon, and fix some coffee. Setting the plate and mug down on the table, I fix a small plate for Ben and a cup of orange juice. It's now six-forty and Ben should be waking up around this time. Walking down the hall and into my little rascals room, I find him sitting on the bed with his hair all wild and sticking in the air. " Good morning, Benny. I got you some breakfast. Let's get dressed and then you can eat." Setting the plate down on his desk, I go over and kneel next to him, fixing his hair. I go to his closet and pick out some decent looking khaki pants and a cute long-sleeve button down shirt for his first day. He's starting 2cd grade at the elementary school next to the high school.

I led him over to his desk and sat him on his chair so he could eat. "Eat up, today's our first day here. I'll come back in a minute to get you and we can leave, okay?"

"Okay sissy. I wove you."

"Love you too, squirt." I say, grinning at how he can't quite pronounce his L's correctly yet.

Walking to my room, I slip on some converse that are not so nice looking. The black is faded to brown and they're ripped in some places, but decent enough for school. Checking the time, it's now seven o'clock and time for us to head out.

Getting Ben's shoes on, I take his empty plate to the kitchen and quickly wash it, him hugging my leg the whole time. He's so scared of Marc and he shouldn't be. He shouldn't be in this situation. Of course, Marc has never physically harmed Ben like he has me, but he has yelled at him and emotionally hurt him. I always take the blame for Ben solely because Marc will never get to lay a hand on my baby brother. I will not let that happen. Leaving Marc a note next to his plate, we leave for school.

"Let's go, Ben." Picking up our school bags, he follows me outside, and into the crisp, winter air. Walking down the street and to our first day at J. Deville high and elementary.

-

After about twenty minutes of walking, we reach the schools. Walking Ben to the office of the elementary school, I handle the ladies at the front desk and get all of Ben's stuff. The main lady tells me his class doesn't start until eight-thirty but that I can walk him to his class so he doesn't get lost. Reaching the door to his class I bend down to Ben's height.

"Sissy, I don't wanna go. Can I stay with you, pwease?"

My heart breaks at how vulnerable he is. He hates it whenever I leave him alone because he's so afraid of Marc. As I said, he never has been touched my Marc, but he has seen him beat me. And he's terrified of him for that. "No, baby. I love you, okay? I'm not leaving you, it's just you have to go to school while sissy goes to her school. Okay? I'll be back later to pick you up. I love you, squirt."

"Okay, I wove you too."

Smiling, I headed out towards my building. Walking into the front office, I get the lady's attention.

"Hi! You must be Layla, correct?" I nod in response. "Okay, here is your schedule. Now, you might have a few classes with senior's but don't worry, they won't mess with you. I hope you have a great first day!"

Looking at the little plaque with her name engraved into it, I reply, "Thank you Sarah."

Walking out of the office, I look at my paper and begin to make my way to English.