Chapter 27

Chapter 27- Jordi

The sky was red. The sky was angry. I couldn't help but feel as if it was angry with me.

Deep pink and bright red streaks littered the dull sky, the sun dripping behind the trees as my paws pounded against the cold dirt.

I felt a rush through my blood every time Alex put a paw down, jolting himself forward as he relentlessly pounded his paws against the ground.

Squeals of delight filled my sensitive ears and the feeling of my fur being bunch up in a place was a high for me. It was like running in wolf form, a natural high.

Alex came to a slow walk, walking around by a lake I always came to.

Layla hopped off of my back and say on the ground, looking out into the water with a fallen face. I missed her smile, her eye wrinkles, her nose twitches. I missed all the signs of her being happy. I wanted it back. I wanted my Layla back, and I wanted my Little Man back.

Hearing her small squeal made my wolf heart race. And now it's gone back to its dull little lull.

I quickly shifted behind a bush, finding shorts hidden in the branches. Slipping them on, I walked around and sat behind Layla, pulling her against my front as I set my chin on her head.

"I love you, you know that, right?"

She sighed, "Of course I know that." Pause. "I love you too."

I could feel her scalp move as she furrowed her eyebrows, thinking.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Us."

"What about us?"

"Well... I am so grateful for you. I love everything you do for me and I just love you. I'm so happy you're with me because without you, I wouldn't be able to cope."

"I'll always be here."

"Promise?"

I promised.

-

"Jordi! What's up man?" Judd came barreling into my office.

"Shhh! Be quiet." I whispered harshly, giving him a small glare.

He gave me a puzzled face and I motioned to the couch in my office.

He mouthed the word 'Oh.'

"What is it?" I said quietly.

"Taylor was busy, so he told me to hand off this letter for you. Came in the mail."

I took the envelope from his hands and set it on the desk. "Alright, thank you. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to take her on to bed, I think Alex wore her out today. I took her for a run on his back and after we talked for a while Alex wanted to play and Layla did too, apparently."

He chuckled, "Alright man. You know? I'm happy for you. She a great girl, and a wonderful Luna."

I smiled and nodded bye as he walked out. I made my way to Layla, kneeling down. I took in her soft features, that weren't so soft this past week. She had dark circles under her eyes and her cheeks were blotchy. Her usual plump lips were pale and beat up, from biting them so much in worry.

I gently pushed hair out of her face and picked her up, careful not to jostle her too much. I kicked open my bedroom door when I reached it, and maneuvered both our bodies through the too-thin door.

Settling Layla down, I pulled a blanket over her body from the edge of my bed. I placed a gentle kiss to her forehead, lingering a little bit.

A hand gripped my wrist as I went to turn away.