Chapter 18

Chapter 18

(Amalia’s POV)

Chaos ensued all around, but I could hardly register what everybody was doing. The pain was horrific, like a chunk of my neck had been taken out, but it was slowly subsidising, being replaced by some strange emotion that I couldn’t pin down or describe.

I was being held up by Eric’s arm that he had wrapped around my waist, holding me to him, my feet dangling in the air. I had gripped onto Eric’s biceps, digging in my nails from the pain.

The sound was coming back.

 ‘ERIC, I COMMAND YOU TO STOP NOW!’ yelled Nathan in a powerful and menacing tone. Eric’s grip on me faltered before he tightened both arms around me. His clamp on my neck disappeared, I could feel the teeth sliding out of the puncture wounds.

I was delirious.

I glanced up lazily to Eric’s face. His eyes were blazing amber and his body was trembling. Blood was all over his mouth, running down in rivulets down his chin and onto his bare, filthy chest, getting caught in the net of dark, curly hair.

‘ERIC. LET HER GO!’

I glanced over to Nathan and had to look away. The quiet but wise man was now standing with so much power, so much authority that the air became thick and heavy, suffocating me, making me want to obey him.

Eric’s hold on me loosened and he lowered me down till my toes touched the floor, but the moment my entire foot connected to the floor, my knees buckled. I would have collapsed if it wasn’t for Eric’s now gentle hold of me. He lowered us both down till I was sitting on his lap, him gently stroking the hair away from my face.

I felt too weak to try and push his hands away, my body had been overridden with sensations and emotions that were so fast and powerful, I couldn’t tell them apart. I knew what he had done. He had bitten me, the psycho. But I didn’t have the energy to be angry, I just couldn’t.

I could see his eyes, amber evolving into blue. He face turned to one of crazed happiness to shocked horror.

‘Oh my God, Lia. What have I done?’ He wailed.

‘Eric, it’s okay. Just let us take care of her and you rest a bit,’ Nathan’s powerful but now nurturing voice came from beside me. He was kneeling near my head, and lightly pressed down on my neck.

‘It’s a very relaxed rhythm, but nothing to worry about. Give me to her Eric.’

‘No, let me.’ Eric mumbled, kissing my forehead tenderly and stroking the inside of my wrist where he was holding my hand in his.

I felt myself rise off the floor and being carried by Eric up the stairs and into the bathroom. He placed me gently on the toilet seat.

‘Are you okay to sit here while I run you a bath?’ he asked. I nodded, slumping slightly.

‘Just holler if you need me, okay babe?’

I could hear Eric bustling around, the squeak of the tap being turned, then the rush of water, as the bathtub filled. The snap and pops of bottles opening, followed by the scent of Lavender and Rose was so heavy and intoxicating, I fell off the toilet seat and landed with a thud.

‘Ow!’

‘Jesus, Lia, are you okay?’ Eric was at my side within a second.

‘The smell is too much.’ I whimpered.

‘Right. Okay. I’m sorry.’

After more fumbling about, the bathtub emptied and filled again with just plain water. I could feel Eric’s prescence as he kneeled before me. I opened my lazy eyes to see his guilt-ridden stare.