Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Amalia’s POV

It had been six days since Eric told me the news.

I now had werewolf DNA.

I wasn’t a werewolf however, not yet according to Eric.

Like that is going to happen. I will die first.

Eric has kept his distance. I think he is afraid that whatever happened that made him snap will happen again. At least he has some courtesy and the distance makes it easier for me to sort out those feelings that awoke inside of me before the attack.

It was Stockholm Syndrome, it had to be. I mean, well apart from the bite, I haven’t been hurt in any shape or form. Everyone is really nice and have treated me with nothing but kindness and respect. Reynard is perhaps my favourite. He is like the sibling that I never had and even Patrick and Sean are beginning to feel like brothers to me as well. I haven’t seen much of Nathan, but since he is the Alpha he is always busy and Jamie works at the small hospital in town so I don’t see much of her either during the day. So usually it is Donald who is in charge of the five of us, and that includes the ray of sunshine that is Grayson.

Today is my first day of training. I’ve been allowed to watch for the past few days and it looks both animalistic and extraordinary. The way that they are able to move, twist and launch themselves makes the most highly trained martial artists look clumsy and ungraceful.

Since the aggressive phase has passed, I have felt different. I can see slightly better, hear, smell and even sense. I’m stronger, faster and more able-bodied than ever before. It’s not on the same level as the guys but comparing how I am now to the weak girl that I was over a week ago, it’s a big difference. The fact that I am this way now because of werewolf venom is a little hard to grasp. Jamie explained the whole concept to me better than Eric did. She said that despite its name, werewolf venom doesn’t kill but what it does is to travels throughout the body until there is an equal amount of the venom. Once that happens, it enters the lymphatic system. A battle ensues as the body tries to fight off what it is programmed to think as dangerous, but the werewolf venom wins and infiltrates everything, most importantly DNA. This changes the genetic instructions of how the body develops and operates, meaning that my bones become stronger, I heal quicker, I see and hear better. The list is endless. The last stage is when the white and red blood cells and platelets die off and are replaced by the now werewolf venom influenced ones.

Apparently, the werewolf venom isn’t poisonous because that would be pretty pointless since werewolves are strong and fast and can kill quickly with her claws and jaws. Venom has many uses, according to texts written by humans they are for predation and defence, mostly by insects and amphibians. In the supernatural world, venom has other uses. Vampires, similar to bats, secrete a small amount of anticoagulant in their saliva, which temporarily prevents the clotting of blood. It helps with the feeding and isn’t dangerous unless the vampire feeds from an artery. In that case, the only way that the victim can be saved is if the vampire injects them with venom containing a procoagulant, which is found naturally in supernatural beings that can heal quickly. However, this risks turning the victim into a vampire. Werewolf venom is injected deliberately into the victim and needs to be about 30 millimeters, enough to completely turn the victim into a werewolf. The purpose of turning, is not much different from reproduction. It is to increase the werewolf population, or in my special case, to let a certain idiot have a mate.

The revelations over the past several weeks have changed everything that I thought I knew about the world, that there were beings more dangerous than weapons. Maybe those who were locked in asylums might not be so crazy. Or that….