Death Takes A Holiday [3]

Mrs. Griffith opened the door to Cole's bedroom and went in, looking around "Cole?" she wrapped her bathrobe tighter "Its Mom. Your dad thinks I'm crazy. Are you here? A picture frame fell over. I could have sworn it was you, baby. Are you still here with me?" A soccer ball was sitting on the dresser. It started spinning. Mrs. Griffith stared. The ball flew past her and bounced off the door. Mrs. Griffith put her hands to her head. "Oh, my God!" she left the room, going through Dean and Sam.

Cole was standing by the dresser; he was throwing more balls.

"Stop!" Dean ordered, "How are you doing that?"

"Who are you?" Cole asked

"Relax, Cole. It's okay," Sam said

"How do you know my name?"

"Look, this isn't gonna be easy to hear, but...you're dead. You're a spirit. Us too,"

Dean glanced back at Sam.

"Yeah, thanks, Haley Joel. I know I'm dead. What do you want?" Cole demanded

"We just want to talk," Sam said

"About what?"

***

Mrs. Griffith poured herself a glass of vodka in the kitchen and took a sip.

Cole was leaning on the wall watching Mrs. Griffith.

Dean and Sam were sitting at the dining room table watching Cole.

"I was outside all morning." Cole recollected as he turned around "They tell you to be careful when it's cold,"

"Cold air can cause an asthma attack?" Dean asked

Cole nodded, shrugging "But then I was in my room. It happened so fast. I called out for my mom, but nothing came out. Everything started spinning, and then I was just standing there, looking down at my body," he leaned on the table.

"And that's when you saw the man?" Sam questioned

"Creepy old guy in a black suit. He wanted me to go with him, but..." Cole looked back at Mrs. Griffith "I didn't want to go,"

"Reaper,"

Dean nodded

"How'd you get rid of him?" Sam asked

"I didn't." Cole admitted "The black smoke did,"

"Black smoke?" Dean questioned in shock

"It was everywhere. I hid in the closet, and when I came out, it was gone, and so was he,"

Dean leaned forward "Do you know where the smoke went?"

"No. But I know where it is," The lights started flickering. Cole jumped.

Dean looked up.

Mrs. Griffith looked around.

"They're back," Cole said

"Who?" Dean asked

Cole vanished.

Dean and Sam looked around. A blast of wind hit them in the face.

Something white and human-shaped went through the room and up the stairs,"

"Another reaper," Sam reasoned

They got up and went to the stairs.

"Hey! Hey! Wait! We need to talk to you!" Dean shouted to the reaper.

Sam and Dean stared as a woman descended the stairs.

"Dean," The woman greeted

Sam glanced at Dean, who was still confused.

"Do I know you?" Dean asked

"We go way back," The reaper noticed Dean's confused look "You don't remember me?"

"Honestly, if I had a nickel for every time I heard a girl say that...You're gonna have to freshen my memory,"

The reaper stepped forward, reaching up, and pulled Dean down into a kiss. She pulled away.

Dean watched the reaper for a moment "Tessa,"

"That's one of my names, yeah," Tessa said

"So, you do know her," Sam said in confusion

"From the hospital after the accident," Dean explained

"The accident with Dad?"

Dean nodded

"So, this is the reaper that came after you,"

"Yeah," Dean said

Tessa turned to look at Sam "Well, this was fun." she turned back to Dean "Now, if you'll excuse me..." Tessa moved to turn away and Dean stopped her.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, you can't-you can't take the kid," Dean said

"Why?"

"Demons are in town, that's why. They've already snatched your reaper pal and Selina. The kid knows where,"

"So?"

"So, you should shag ass." Sam argued "For all we know, they could try and snatch you, too,"

"Except that this town is off the rails,"

Mrs. Griffith came out of the dining room, picking something off a side table, putting up her hair, and left.

Sam watched Mrs. Griffith.

"And someone has to set it straight." Tessa continued

"Yeah, we understand that, but these are special circumstances," Dean said

"What? Your whole angel-demon dance-off? I could care less. I just want to do my job,"

"Right, yeah, and, look, we want to help you do your job. So, if you would just bail town..." Sam said

"No,"

"Well, then, could you hold off until we fix this?" Dean asked "Please,"

Tessa sighed "All right, but just so we're clear when I start reaping again, I'm starting with the kid,"

"Understood. I'll find him," Sam turned to go upstairs

"Wait, wait, wait, wait." Dean called out causing Sam to turn back towards his brother "What are you gonna say to him?"

"Whatever I have to," Sam left.

Dean and Tessa watched Sam go.