25

"Good morning Jerry

"Good morning Jerry." Over the past couple of weeks Ellis had become very comfortable with Jerry, meaning that she was now able to speak fluently in front of him.

Jerry would be lying if he said he didn't enjoy the girls company, she made him laugh and he taught her how to say hello, goodbye, please and thank you in French. It took a while but she finally learnt it.

"Bonjour Ellis." He nodded at her with a small smile. "How are you today?" He questioned.

"Fine thank you, and yourself?" Jerry paused and let out a sign.

"Not good." He mumbled. Ellis looked at him curiously and waited for him to continue. "A few months ago, when the Cuthberts had trouble with the farm. I sold one of their horses. Some men beat me up and took the money from me." Jerry paused. "I think they're the boarders at the Cuthberts."

"I'll kill them." Ellis clenched her jaw. "I'll go over there right now for you Jerry."

"No, Ellis, it's okay." Jerry reassured her.

~

Every night before bed Gilbert read over Anne's letter. More specifically he read over the part about Ellis.

"Ellis hasn't come to school since you left. I think she misses you but I couldn't really tell.

The last time I saw her was at Mr Bennett's funeral. She looked fine. She didn't cry. She didn't show any emotion, it was...scary.

Her brothers turned up to the funeral, I think they're still working the farm with her and Carter.

Ellis has changed a lot since you left Gilbert. I wish that I could explain it better to you. She just isn't the same anymore."

Gilbert wondered how she had changed and what made her change. He wondered if her brothers were still the same boys before the army or if the war had changed them.