Chapter 40:

Spending Christmas alone was blissful, probably because I hated being in the midst of crowds and having to rack my brains on how to fit in, but instead, being alone and in the warmth of a loved one's embrace sounded better.

    Junior has changed to a completely different person over the days and my parents were even more shocked than I am. Being considerate, always wanting to start conversations and looking for ways to make one happy.

   Even though he tried to make the last part less obvious, since he still had that pride buried deep within his bones, his effort to make me smile didn't pass my eyes and I would always find myself wondering what changed him overnight.

   Nevertheless, I had more pressing matters to deal with so I cast his case aside since I already knew whatever changes it might be must be temporary, as he has something to request of us or long term, because of Edward and Matt's influence.

   Dawdling around during busy days was never my intention, as I had planned to maximize the holiday to do some digging but as fate would have it my dad just had to move us away without rhyme or rhythm, disrupting my plans entirely.

    Right now I was seated on my study chair, maintaining a solemn expression as I got lost in thoughts. It even crossed my mind to give up on trying to find my past but I just could not bring myself to do that, because it was destined that one way or the other I would have to find out, and I wouldn't want to be deep inside the tigers den before that happens.

   Sheebah had been my number one suspect from the very start, as she was smart and pretentious, had an unreadable attitude coupled with a glib tongue and a nice appearance.

     She was like a chameleon, appearing to be this and at another time be that, she wasn't the easy type, and has always been my only option but I had forgotten one person, the first person I remembered, Jenny.

   On that day in the hallway, I remembered a childlike face, sitting in the corner and a carefree youth, jogging towards her. On sighting that person, she smiled and one had to take note that she had a very beautiful appearance as such that when she smiles, it was like a thousand flowers blooming and her somewhat big eyes were cheerful and lively, filled with warmth. But I didn't know if I had noticed in the past that behind that smile was a hand clenched to a fist under the table.

    Considering that we both were young at that time, perhaps between the age of twelve to fourteen, we were still considered as kids and it was not impossible to have some fall outs but that hand was clenched with so much strength that it seemed that the other harbored malice towards me.

    I had seen it then, but hadn't thought much of it but now that I was older and do not have any relations with her, I could only view it from the viewpoint of an outsider and by doing that one could only see that she harbored malice and her expression could be linked to that of a green snake under the green grass. Appears friendly on the outside but filled with malicious intent on the inside. 

     I drew a circle around that name and knew I had to start looking from that person.

...

   “Ding ding” the doorbell rang and I thought one of the maids would go get it but when it kept ringing incessantly, I remembered that the others were out, and I was the only one at home.

   But Kara was home, as we have been together for so many years and her son just got remarried, she didn't want to disturb the couples alone time and came earlier. Maybe she is sleeping?

  At first I thought it might be Edward or the like but was surprised when I got there and saw no one by the entrance.

   Confused but vigilant, I stepped around and surveyed the surrounding but couldn't spot any one. Is this some sort of joke? I thought as I was about to shut the door but paused midway.

    On the doormat lied a white envelope and I picked it up to take a look. I immediately became petrified when I saw the familiar 'the unknown' logo at the button. I looked around to see if anyone was  watching and was relieved when saw that there really was no one around.

   I feigned a confused look as I picked it up, putting on an act for whoever might be watching before closing the door. The look was to make them think I wasn't familiar with the unknown or had not even received messages with the same logo before.

  Shutting the door behind me, I walked more like ran upstairs and locked the door to my room. I quickly shut the blinds before pulling out the study chair I had been sitting on earlier and took a seat then tore of the seal that bound the letter and brought out the content to read.

      ~Eew, it took me a lot of efforts to decide whether or not to deliver this, since you have proven to be useless over time. Nevertheless I still have some use for you so I will pardon you and let you in on some things.

    On the 25th of December, you received an invite from an unknown person to meet at a famous restaurant. Naturally since you were not foolish, you didn't want to go but at that moment, someone called and with the phone on your ear, you who was earlier walking on the street wanted to cross the road. Even at that you were very careful person and naturally looked left and right before doing so.

   But who knew that some people just hapoened to have a flight they didn't want to miss that day and ran into you. But something doesn't seem right. Or is it just me?..

    The letter ended with continuous dots to indicate that it was to be continued and. And that was the last thing I remembered before I awoke.

....

   Third Person P.O.V

   “Master, it seems the other side has made a move as it is reported that Cather fell uncunscious today again

  In a very excusituve room, on a somewhat extravagant but simple leather chair, sat a guy. On his hand was a puzzle, that he always played with whenever he was bored.

  It could be said that he had already gotten the hang of this puzzle but nevertheless didn't let it go. This attitude was strange and normal at the same time, as some people would regard such a thing as their trophy but unfortunately this person was not that type of person that liked to brag about nonsense nothings.

   But regardless, one did not know why he still liked to play with this thing..

   “Let her keep jumping around and see to what extent she would go” The other person said, in a low but sharp voice as he turned the puzzle around and around. Within a few minutes, the puzzle was solved and the colors were matched evenly and then one could see that person disarranging the thing before arranging it again.

   This person repeated the actions for a while before saying “How's Cather's mental health these days?”

   “one was not able to find out but judging from her curiosity, she cannot stay sane for too long” The other person's tone was extremely respectful but the disdain in his voice couldn't be hidden properly which caused the young master to raise his brows.

  But he didn't do more than that as he placed the puzzle on the table and leaned against his chair

   “Nevermind, that idiot friend of Daniel wouldn't even tell his wife so it is natural. But one cannot help but doubt your competency.” He stopped at that and raised his eyes to stare at Liam “After all, you are not that efficient, and all those loyalty stuff doesn't work on me, what I value the most is efficiency.” He lectured, but his voice remained unchanged, which made one think he was easygoing. Only those who were closer to him knew he was the exact opposite of that.

   “This subject apologises, promises boss there wouldn't be a next time” Liam was quick to apologize for his wrongdoings.

   “Nevermind, the Collins are not that easy to get to. Instead of probing around, find some time to alter that clowns next letter. She is pushing her limits” The so-called boss ordered and Liam paused before nodding.

    “You can leave”
When Liam was about to open the door to leave he was stopped by his boss's cough and he turned around to listen to what instruction he wanted to pass.

   “Send me a copy of different books on how to profess love and whatnot”  Liam almost choked on his saliva but he quickly buried his head to hide it.

   Who knew that the usually heartless young master could be interested in those love affairs?