Chapter 24: The Party

Exam starts next week and I have been so busy studying to even have time to focus on myself, nonetheless I made sure to keep tabs on Sheebah and to avoid being too direct, I decided to have a talk with her on Friday.

 I had inquired details about the party from Becca, and she only told me that it was an 'All Red' party, is to take place in Diane's on Friday night, which is today. She also remembered to lay emphasis on her new mission and of course gave a few snide comments about Sheebah. With a few more words from her, I then became sure that Sheebah was indeed going to attend.

    Becca was friends with Diane, so she was able to sneak an invitation from her, when Becca handed me the invite, I just couldn't help but be happy with how things was looking up. I already had plans to visit the hospital I was admitted to then, to check if I could maybe have a look at my medical records and with that perhaps I might find a clue about the couple who hit me.

   Becca and I went shopping yesterday since she placed a great value on appearance, she had insisted I buy an armless low cut dress that exposed little cleavage and the shape of the dress was such that it outlined my curves and according to her, with that, I wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb. If there was anything I was proud of, it was my hips since I wasn't endowed in the boobs and butt area, and since the dress was slim fit, it looked like it was custom-made for me.

I didn't have any experience with parties as I have never attended one, even if Shayne were to host one, I would just avoid it with an excuse so much that it got to a point that they got used to it and wouldn't even bother to inform me whenever they were throwing one.

   For the first time, I would be making an appearance at a party I didn't even feel comfortable about and the thought made me shudder.

 Earlier, I had called my mom and informed her about my whereabouts. She sounded displeased at first but later permitted me to go.

 'No drinking, No coming home before 9, and I'll call Biden, he'll be responsible for driving you there and back' only after I agreed to all her conditions did she finally let me off. 'Be good alright. Remember Not a single drop of alcohol' she hung up the phone with a finishing warning.

 During the phone call, I could hear faint voices in the background, which I linked to that of her secretary since I was very familiar with her and I knew that she must have something to do, if not she would have taken her time to lecture me about how parties and boys are a distraction to ladies.

 If there was another reason why I was socially detached, it would be because of my mom's constant nagging about how I should not follow the bad crowd and how school is only meant for studying and not friends. I couldn't even invite Shane or even Becca home for dinner or to hang out. I can not go to their house and there was no leaving the house uninformed. Their rules were so much, but I have learned to memorize it all and live by it.

 Apart from that, they were very good parents. I am the type of person that sees farther than the situation and I could tell all they were doing was for my own good. OK those are my dad's words. I can't look farther than the situations neither do I think they are doing it for my own good.

 What I think is that they were both trying to build me to what they thought was the most ideal type of person plus they cared a lot about their reputation and wouldn't even allow the slightest mishap.

     I let my ponytail fall down and combed my hair to the sides. I didn't do any more than that as I didn't want unnecessary attention plus, I was already feeling uncomfortable in the dress, so I wouldn't want to add to my predicament. For my final look, I put on a necklace that had my name engraved on the pendant and took a final look in a mirror before putting on a silver flat shoe.

 Becca had begged, I mean grovel led at my feet for me to wear a high heel and I refused over and over again. Finally, she gave up and hung up the phone angrily.

    Shayne also called to tell me how excited she was that I was going, and she spoke for about a year and a half before I decided I couldn't take it anymore and hung up the phone on her. She had called repeatedly after, but I didn't pick it up. I slung my purse over my shoulder and went outside.

 True to her word, Biden was already downstairs, and I greeted hi before getting in the backseat. Being a driver was just an excuse, I was sure he was going there to keep tabs on me, but I didn't mind since I didn't have anything in mind except having some fun and interrogating Sheebah.

....

 On driving in the compound, I had expected to be excited, but I wasn't. The Garage was filled with Luxurious cars of all sorts, since there was no space for us there, Biden found a corner to park in.

 There was nothing mind-blowing about the house, except for the horse statue in the middle of the water fountain that made the house look like it belonged to royalties.

 Bringing out my phone from my purse, I dialed Becca's to ask whether she was here yet, and she replied yes and that I should wait where I was, she was going to pick me up. I had no problem with that, since I didn't know my way around here and seated patiently inside my Ferrari.

    When I saw that Becca was taking a long time to get here, I tried calling her again but decided against it as I didn't want to appear bossy, so I just played a random game to pass time. Finally, I heard a knock on my window and I quickly wound it down.

 I opened the door when I saw that she was the one, and she pulled me into her embrace before I could even complain. I tried to squirm out of it but figured she was feeling emotional when I felt a teardrop on my bare shoulder. I patted her back till I could finally assert that she was crying no more.

     I pulled out a tissue from my purse and handed it to her to wipe her tears. Her makeup was now smudged and her face looked horrible.

 Carefully, I wiped the mess off her face and she kept sniffling while I was at it. She didn't need to talk for me to know that it was about her parents. Becca is a very strong person, and I had never seen her cry, but most of the time she was down was always somehow related to her family.

    Comparing mine to hers, I realized I have been ungrateful for the good life I have been living.