Chapter 13

The whole ride back to the hospital was silent, again.  I wasn't in the mood to talk, though, my heard was still pounding in over drive.  Had I really just sung with Kyle?  Yes, I did.  I was proud of myself, it was an accomplishment.

What people didn't seem to understand is that I don't force my stage fright.  In fact, I hate myself for it.  I really wish that I could get up in front of people and sing my heart out, but I can't.  My ultimate dream would be to get over the stage fright and to be able to become someone in music. 

Sighing, I told myself that was impossible and leaned my head against the car window.  It was a cold day out, so the windows had started to fog up a little.  The chilly glass soothed my head and helped me clear my thoughts a little, and that's when I realized we weren't heading to the hospital.

"Where are we going?" I asked, sitting up straight up in my chair.  Taking in my surroundings, I realized I didn't recognize anything.  Where was Kyle taking me?

"My house," Kyle shrugged, not looking away from the road, "I thought you could use a meal before you go back to visit your mom."  Well, that's strange.

"I could've eaten at the hospital,"  I leaned back in my chair, settling back a little.

Kyle laughed, "You don't really want to eat hospital food, trust me."  I rolled my eyes and sighed, pulling my phone out of my pocket.  It was almost five thirty at night, I really needed to get back to the hospital.  Oh well, it could wait till we were done eating.

Kyle pulled up to his house and jogged in, leaving me behind.  Sighing, I headed in behind him, dragging my feet.  I wasn't even that hungry, but I would eat to make Kyle happy.  Plus, it wasn't good for me to skip a meal.

"I'll be back in a minute!"  Kyle yelled when I walked inside.  Okay?  Why was he acting so weird?  I mean I know he wasn't exactly normal, but this was really strange.  A door slammed, making me jump a little bit. 

"Oh, hello, sweetie,"  Kyles mom smiled, walking into the living room, "Please, sit down."  I gave her a smile, slowly sitting down on the couch.  She sat down in the chair across from me.

"How're you?"  I asked, placing my hands in my lap.  Kyle's mom was really nice, especially to me.  Everyone said it was because she saw me as the daughter she never had.

"I'm great, how have you been?"  My smile faltered, and I looked at the ground.  Then, in that moment, everything that had happened in the past two days came crashing down on me.  Why did I pick that exact time to break down?

"I, um," I stuttered, staring at my shaking hands.  My whole body was shaking uncontrollably.

"Serenity, is something wrong?"  She asked in concern.  Tears had started to leak past my eyes, a small sob escaped my lips.  "Oh baby, why are you crying?"  In a second she was over by me, wrapping me in a comforting hug.

I clung to her like she was my life line in a ocean.  Why was I so weak?  Why did I have to show emotion?  I wanted so badly not to care about my mom, or about Vincent, but like it or not they were in my life, and I really did care about my relationships with them.

"My...My mom's in the hospital," I sobbed, clutching the back of her shirt in my fists.  She started rubbing soothing circles on my back, trying to clam me.

"It's going to be okay," She cooed, "You'll be fine."  And for the first time, I believed her.  I believed someone, and it was a strange feeling.  The feeling of trust can make you feel amazing, or it can make you feel like crap.  At that point, my emotions were such a mess I couldn't tell how it had effected me.