Chapter 38

This was it, the moment we had been waiting for. I was shaking like a wet dog. We were moments away from finding out who our mentor would be, and I was freaking out.

Yes, boot camp was over, an we had made it though. Hope was flying down this weekend to wish us luck, but right now we had a privet meeting with out mentor. We hadn't been told who it was.

"I'm sure you're glad to see me," Mia smirked, walking in the room. "I'm your mentor." I gulped, we got the one person I didn't want. Just my luck, right? But I had to take what I could get, whether I liked it or not.

"Hello," I smiled, reaching my hand out. She looked at it, scoffed, and then sat down on the other side of the conference table. Rude! Kyle grabbed my hand under the table, attempting to calm me down.

"Now, first things first." She roughly slammed a magazine in front of me and Kyle, pointing to the top left corner. There was a small picture of Kyle kissing me on the cheek, and in little letters said, 'Could Romance be Brewing Between Silent City Members, Serenity Davis and Kyle Jones?' "Make no mistake, you're not quite famous, but people are always looking for a good story, and this happens to be one."

I was shocked. My picture was on a magazine cover. It was small, but it was there, and somewhere in the magazine there was an article to go with it.

"You want publicity, but not necessarily of this kind," Mia explained, finally sitting down. I was confused.

"What's wrong with it?" Kyle asked, curious. She laughed, shaking her head.

"Next, there's going to be a rumor that she's pregnant. Plus, should I point out in the papers you signed, agreeing to the shows rules, it says you can not date another contestant."

Wait, what?!

"Obviously you didn't read the papers," Mia was getting way to much pleasure out of this. She knew she had caught us, she knew we were backed into a corner.

"This is our personal life and none of your business," I snapped. I didn't mean to, but Mia had a way of pissing me off. Her face slowly turned red, like she was choking on a small gum ball. After that, we had all the good sense to remain silent.

"Those are the rules," She gritted out, "If not followed, you are removable from the show."

"Wait," Scott exclaimed, jumping forward in his chair. "Are you saying Ren and Kyle have to break up, or were off the show."

"Precisely," She smiled evilly, looking directly at me. I wanted to break her neck. Never in my whole life had I been so mad. She was doing this to torture me, I was sure of it.

"But-" She cut Tristan off, slamming her hand in the table in anger.

"There are no buts, I'm simply telling you what you need to do to stay in this competition. Do I make myself clear?"

I had to bite my tongue to keep myself from laughing. In pretty sure a mentor was not supposed treat their contestants like this.

"Now, for this first official live show, I want you to sing Hey Jude by The Beetles." Her choice caught all of us off guard, that wasn't really our style of music. "Rehearsals start day after tomorrow, seeing as you are moving into the contestant house tomorrow. Now, could you boys leave the room, I'd like to talk with Serenity alone."

Obviously, she wasn't giving us any room to state out opinion. I was pretty scared of her, because she could get rid of us with a snap of her fingers. The boys gave me a weary look. I nodded at them, and slowly they left the room.

"Mia, I-"

"Look, it's not secret that I don't like you," She said bluntly, staring me down. "But, as much as I hate to admit it, you're talented."  For a moment, I blinked, speechless.  Had I heard her right, or was I starting to hallucinate.