Chapter 44

That night I didn't want go home until I was sure everyone else in the house was asleep. I'm sure my phone had a thousand worried calls and texts, but I had shut it off after sending Kyle a text saying not to worry about me. Vincent was very kind and was willing to hang out with me until I was ready to head back.

"You know you'll have to tell them sooner then later," He had said. We were sitting on the cough in Vincent's house, his arm slung around my shoulders and my head resting on his shoulder. It was only for a moment I felt guilty about the intimacy of our position, then I reminded myself that the next day Kyle and I wouldn't even be together. Plus I just really needed the comfort, and for some reason I felt safe and secure in Vincent's arms.

"But I can't tell them why," I whispered, "It's going to be so hard."

"But you can do it " He insisted, "You're strong, and you're doing the right thing...Well, under the circumstances you're making the right decision, even if it hurts a little." I sighed, snuggling into him tighter. He leaned down and planted a firm kiss on the top of my head.

"It's not just that I'm worried about," I shifted my head to I could see his face, full of concern and an obvious longing to take away my pain. Despite how I felt, a small bubble of happiness wedged its way into my heart. I knew it was wrong, to feel happy because Vincent was showing he cared about me, but that didn't make the feeling any less real. "I'm going to have to preform by myself in front of all those people...."

"And you'll do great," He insisted, a smile melting easily onto his face, "You're so talented and everyone loves you. You just have to believe in yourself."

"Easier said then done," I muttered under my breath, pursing my lips. The problem was not lack of confidence in my abilities, being on the show had proven that I could sing. It was fear that I would mess up, and it would be displayed on TV for the whole world to see. Wouldn't that thought make anyone, even the bravest and the boldest, the slightest bit nervous? "Besides, everyone most definitely does not love me."

He shook his head, "Then you're wrong. Besides Mia, who doesn't count because she's a heartless devil spawn, everyone is obsessed with you. I know you try to stay away from watching the show and reading articles and such, but trust me, you're a favourite. What's not to love about Serenity Davis?" Not knowing how to except the complement, I lowered my head to hide a blush and hissed out the word 'thanks,' not knowing if he even heard it or not.

Quiet set over us, neither feeling the need to speak. The seconds of silence stretched into minutes, and then possibly into hours. I couldn't tell how long we didn't speak to each other, and was perfectly content just to soak in the comfort that Vincent's presence brought. When I couldn't tell if Vincent was awake or asleep, my eyelids grew heavy and started to droop. I told myself to get up and leave, but my brain couldn't seem to shake the fog that had set in. Warm and cozy, I shifted to wrap my arms around Vincent's waist like he was a huge teddy bear, readying myself to break through my tired state. I couldn't fall asleep, not only would Vincent be totally creeped out in the morning, but everyone at the house would know I hadn't been home all night. Talk about drama exploding everywhere.

But my plans were disturbed, because when I next opened my eyes sun was peaking through the curtains. I was still disoriented and groggy, but aware enough to notice the hands wrapped around my waist and the soft, warm breathing that was blowing on my neck. I snuggled into the warmth, hoping for a few more blissful moments of sleep...

And then a horrible, blood curdling scream pierced the air that sent shivers down my spine.

I shot up, and so did the person underneath me. In a split second I realised where I was, and who I was laying on. Vincent's shocked face stared at me, just as baffled as I was. Somehow in the middle of the night we had shifted to lay on the couch, all snuggled up and cozy. Then another scream sounded, causing me to jump of of Vincent all the way and tumble to the floor.