Chapter 11

Kyle didn't even respond to my text message.  Nope, instead he rushed to the hospital, and within twenty minutes I had someone to comfort me.  It was nice to be able to hug someone, to hear them tell me that it was going to be okay.  Thank God my tears had run out, otherwise it would've been really embarrassing.

"Serenity, what happened?" Kyle finally whispered in my ear when I had calmed down.  We had relocated to the waiting room and were curled up in one chair.  Let's just say Kyle had no choice but to let me sit on his lap...Awkward.

"I don't even know," I muttered into his chest, "I just came home and she was in the bathtub bleeding...I don't know how long she was out or what happened..."  He squeezed me tighter, trying to reassure me.

"At least you found her in time," He reminded me, even though he didn't need to.  I had been thankful this whole time that I had found her alive.  Now it was just a matter of if she would stay that way or not.

Oh God, if she died I would literally be so lost.  How could I have said those things to her?  Yes I was feeling hurt and abandoned, but that was no excuse.  There was nothing I could say or do to make any of it better.

"Hey, it's not your fault." Kyle said, stroking my hair.  It was surprisingly calming.

"Yes it is," I exclaimed, looking up at him like he was crazy. "How can you say it's not after what I told you last night?!"  I mean, I had made what had happened pretty clear.  I knew he wasn't confused.

Kyle wrinkled his eyebrows, "Because I know it's not."  He said sternly, "We don't even know what happened, Ren.  You can't blame yourself."

"Oh yes I can," I scoffed, standing up on my feet. "You're not my mother, and you can't tell me what to do."  Here I go again, saying and doing things I don't mean.  I was being really rude and defencive, and it wasn't called for.

"Ren, I'm just trying to-"

"Well stop trying!"  I screamed, throwing my hands in the air.  Everyone in the waiting room was staring at us at that point, but I did't really care. "Why are you trying, anyway?!  No one asked you to come to the hospital and stay with me!  So why did you?!"

"Because you need someone-"

"I don't need anyone, Kyle!  God, why are you so pig headed?!"  I had never really fought with Kyle before, and it felt like foreign territory.  It was wrong, and it shouldn't of been happening.  I didn't need another person to turn against me.  I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "I'm sorry, I'm just so stressed out and I just-"

Kyle cut me off, standing up and wrapping me in another hug.  I hugged him back, smiling against his chest.  No matter what I could count on him, even if I pissed him off.

"You just need a hug?"  Kyle asked, smirking down at me.  I nodded. "I get it, I know what it's like to be so stressed out."

"Thank you," I whispered, giving him one last squeeze before pulling away.

"Serenity Davis?"  Someone asked behind me, and I quickly turned around.  It was a young, female nurse.  She had dark skin, big, pretty brown eyes, curly brown hair, and was wearing baby blue nurse scrubs.

"Yes?"  I asked, cocking my head to the side.  My stomach was clinching into a million little knots.  Oh gosh, please let this be about my mother!

"We have news about your mother, follow me please."  She said, turning around and walking away.  I nodded ferociously, even though she couldn't see me, and motioned for Kyle to follow.  He did, catching up quickly.  He slid his hand into mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze.