Chapter 8

I think my heart fell through my stomach, out the front door, and ran away somewhere.  Hearing a normal mom say "we need to talk" isn't that bad. Usually it's about boys, sex, or the fact that you spent to much money that month.  But with my mom -especially with the way she had been acting recently- meant she was pissed, and her wrath was something I was genuinely afraid of.

My head was still throbbing from my fall, and my mind was to much in a jumble to form an understandable response, so I just sat there, blinking at my mom while she stood there tapping her foot while her anger built up more like a bottle rocket.  And she was about to explode.

"Serenity, get up," My mom growled, "Right now."  I blew out a deep breath and hauled myself up, stepping out of the way of the door just before my mom slammed it.  I jumped a little, letting out a yelp.

"What the hell?!" I screamed.  I refused to back down to her.  If she knew I was intimidated, she would feel powerful, and I couldn't give her that.  I glared at her, trying not to wince at the anger that flashed through her eyes.

"Language, young lady!"  My mom screamed.  I scoffed, turning around and walking to the kitchen.  "Where do you think you're going?! I said we need to talk!"

"Yeah mom, we definitely need to talk." I said sarcastically, grabbing the bottle of apple juice from the fridge. "Why would you want to talk to me now?  Because I disobeyed your note?"  Just because I knew it would annoy her, I pulled myself up on the island and opened the bottle of apple juice, drinking it straight from the jug.

I could tell I had struck a nerve.

"Serenity," My mom said in a hushed tone, squeezing her eyes shut.  She was trying not to yell. "I swear, you're on my last nerve.  Get your butt off that counter and get a cup for your juice. Now." Rolling my eyes, I hopped off the counter and left the jug behind.

"Why mom?  Why can't I sit on the counter?  You don't even know what the hell I've been doing the past few weeks!" I started to yell, realizing for the first time how much I was actually hurting from her being gone all the time.  We had moved to a whole new state and she abandoned me.  What kind of mom did that?

"I was just trying to give you some space!"

"Don't give me that bullshit!" I screamed, stomping my foot like a little kid.  My eyes were watering and I hated that I was about to cry. Maybe that was why I was yelling. "I could've been sleeping around with every guy I've come into contact with!  I could be pregnant right now and you wouldn't even know!"

The only reason I said that was because my mom was totally against me having sex.  For some reason she had it in her mind that being a teen mom would be the worst thing that could ever happen to me.

"Oh God, please tell me you're not.." My mother gasped, the color draining from her face, "Is that boy-"

"Oh my god mom!"  I yelled wiping away the tears angrily.  The tears had started to fall.  Tears were a sign of weakness.  I was weak.  "Why do you hate that I get male attention so much?! Is it because I'm more attractive then you?!  Is it because you know I could keep a guy interested for longer then you kept dad interested?!  Well guess what, he left you!  He left you because you're such a bitch!"

Before I could continue, she slapped me straight across the face.

My head snapped to the side, my jaw going slack in shock.  Sure, my mother had been mad before, but she had never hurt me in anyway.  The violence was enough for me to shut my mouth and stare at her with a new found hatred.

"Yeah, that's right, you better shut your mouth."  My mom screamed.  Her eyes were watering, she looked so hurt.  Even if she looked that hurt, I didn't regret my words.  She deserved to hear them. "You, young lady, may not speak to me about your father! You don't even know the half of what went on!  And, let me tell you, you're not half as pretty as you think you are! Now up to your room."