11. Luke's Party

Luke's POV

.

It was the night of the party, and Michael, Ashton and I finished hiding all the fragile things, like my mom's precious flower vases and the sparkly lamps.

"That's the last of them." Michael sighed, dusting his hands off while Ashton breathed a sigh of relief and flopped onto the couch.

"Good, because I'm too tired to hide anymore things. How much stuff does your mom buy, Luke?"

I ignored them both and walked upstairs, knocking on Delilah's door.

"Hey, Del. Can I talk to you for a sec?" I whispered, closing the door behind me. She nodded, shifting around on her bed, cuddling her toy rabbit.

"Since I'm having a party tonight, mom and dad agreed to let you go to Chelsea's house for a sleepover. Does that sound like fun?" I sat down next to her on the pink fluffy bed, ruffling her hair.

Delilah played with her fingers before answering me. "Okay, but are you going to drop me off?"

"Sorry, Del. Chelsea's mom is picking you up. She should be here by now. I looked out the window and saw a sleek black car pull up. "Yeah, that's her. I packed your stuff already, so you have fun, okay?" I kissed her forehead and she kissed my cheek, giving me a quick hug before running downstairs with her purple duffel bag.

I followed her outside and talked to her mom for a minute and we said our goodbyes before she drove off.

Relief washed over me, knowing that if an eight year old was still in the house for a high school party, she would probably end up smelling like beer and smoke.

I stepped back into the house and sat down with Michael and Ashton, waiting for everyone to arrive.

"Hey guys." I heard Mia say casually, and we all turned around to face her. She was wearing a yellow blouse thing that had a little bow tied at the top with a pale vest underneath, paired with a black denim skirt with silver buttons and some black combat boots with white laces. Her straight hair fell loosely around her shoulders, which reached down to the middle of her back.

"Ooh, Lukey's staring," Michael smirked. "But you do look pretty hot, though."

"Yeah. You two have fun tonight." Ashton snickered, along with Michael. I glared at them both before standing up and facing Mia.

"You look great." I confirmed, earning a warm smile from her. Then there was a loud ring, and when Ashton went to go open it, a crowd of teenagers with beer bottles and cigarettes flooded in, some covered in tattoos, piercings, or both.

Soon, the party was in full swing. The music blasted out from the huge speakers with people dancing along to the beat, people were by the pool and some people were making out in different corners of the house.

"This is great," I yelled over the music to Michael. "I'm sorta glad you guys convinced me to do this."

"I agree. It's even better than my party." He shouted back, noticing Ruby in the corner and ran off to her.

I looked around for Mia, but there was no sign of her downstairs. I decided to go check upstairs, walking into various games of Truth or Dare, or Seven Minutes in Heaven.

Finally, I knocked on Mia's bedroom door and I heard a muffled sound, so I walked in and saw her staring at the wall.

"Hey. Why aren't you downstairs? You've been holed up in here since the first few people came." I asked, sitting down next to her. She shrugged, still staring.

"It's way too loud. I can't hear myself think, not even up here."

"But Sleepyhead's on!"

"What?"