13. Caring?

Luke's POV

.

I heard voices downstairs and went to go see what was happening.

I crept out my room, tip toeing down the stairs, pressed against the wall.

"Calum, I told you. I was at Ruby's." Great. Mia's boyfriend was there.

"I asked her and she said she went to a party. A party that he threw, and asked you to stay." I heard the douche's voice say, a hint of annoyance in it.

"Well, what was I supposed to do?"

"Oh I don't know, not lie about it?"

"Okay, look. I'm sorry. Now can we please stop talking about this." Mia groaned, and I heard her get closer.

"No, we can't. Why didn't you tell me? I sent you like, five texts."

Correction, only one text.

"I was downstairs, Calum. It was a party. Parties are loud. How was I supposed to know over the loud music?" Mia explained slowly, as if she was talking to Delilah. I chuckled a little, smirking to myself.

"Listen, Mia. You're acting weird these days. And I don't know if it's because of Luke, or-"

"Why do you keep mentioning Luke? That's all you ever talk about anymore. Luke does this, Luke does that." I heard her sigh and I had to admit, I was a little happy that she was sticking up for me.

"Luke is the reason, Mia." Calum told her calmly, their voices a lot closer than before.

"Listen to yourself! Luke, Luke, Luke." Mia sighed. "It's not just his fault, you know."

I bit my lip.

Calum sighed back sadly. "I feel like I'm losing you to him. Like, you would rather have him as your boyfriend than me."

That's because she does, dickhead.

"Look, I'm sorry, okay? Let's just forget about it. You're never going to lose me, especially not to him. We're just...we're on okay terms right now." My face fell.

I stared at the wall across me in silence and stopped listening to what they were saying, lost in my own thoughts.

Why did I care? I hated her, she hated me. And yet, we kind of knew each other well enough to know that we didn't actually hate each other.

"Luke? What are you doing?" I turned around and saw Mia looking up at me, folding her arms.

"Uh, nothing." I shrugged. "I was just..." I looked at Calum. "I was just going to watch a movie." I pushed past them both, flopping on to the couch.

"Whatever." Mia mumbled, taking Calum's hand and dragging him upstairs.

I bit my lip, looking back.

Why did I care so much?