Chapter 26

Thora Hawthorn:

Gio goes entirely stiff next to me. If you aren't praying attention then you'd miss the way his hands shake or the pounding of his heart. The way he tried to keep the composure he's tried hard to maintain the whole night. But I know him and i've spent enough time with him to know his nervous quirks. His hands twitch and he looks to the floor letting his hair flop into his eyes.

I look up at Alpha Weston who stands just outside of the invisible threshold set by our lovely security team.

"Giovanni! Such a long time since i've seen my favorite omega," He screams making other people look. After a pause he continues and playfully face palms. "Oh! I guess it's Prince Giovanni now."

Giovanni makes no move to look at him or even to speak. He stands there with his head down and his breathing heavy. I step forward towards Alpha Weston making Giovanni finally react. He yanks me back towards him by my arm nearly pulling it out of the socket and holds me in his arms tightly. My back is to his front as he tries to pull me impossibly closer. I squeal at the sudden movement as I am engulfed entirely by him. This is the most protective I've ever seen him. "Gio," I whisper confused as on-lookers are also confused at his sudden need to hide me away.

Still breathing heavily he tries to keep his voice even. It shakes a bit and I wonder if i'm the only one who noticed. "Alpha West," He mutters clearing his throat and looking anywhere other than the man himself.

"May I have a word, your Royal Highness?" Alpha Weston bows to me more specifically before smirking at Gio. He looks at Gio up and down as if assessing him. His eyes linger for a little longer than they should on various spots on Gio's clothes. Gio takes a step back with me still in his arms. He finally looks up at Alpha Weston shaking his head seemingly unable to get words out.

"No," I answer trying to pull myself slightly away from Gio. He is having none of it as he just tightens his grip and growls lowly in my ear. "I think it'd be better if you keep your distance, Alpha Weston. My mate seems to be a bit weary of you."

Alpha Weston nods and laughs "Alpha West is fine, Highness." He looks at Gio again "Giovanni and I go way back. Don't we Giovanni?"

Gio says nothing but gives a hesitant nod. "What do you mean? He was in your pack, I know," I question still looking at Alpha West.

"Oh!" Alpha West says clapping his hands "You didn't tell her?"

Gio glares at the ground and I can see the black swirling in his eyes. He shakes his head after a long moment.

"What happens in Wolf Moon stays in Wolf Moon I guess," Alpha West laughs. He takes a step forward and one of our men juts out his hand to stop him.

I crane my neck towards Gio trying to see his reaction but he just continues to have me firmly in his grasp looking at the ground. It's clear that whatever happened in Wolf Moon was enough to turn Gio scared. As curious as I am, and Goddess am I, I respect his decision to keep it to himself. So instead of pandering on I clear my throat.

"Well, Alpha West, thank you for attending my birthday ball. Gio and and I have other guest to greet," I dismiss him politely and thankfully he takes the hint.

"It has been a pleasure, Highness." He smiles at us both "And Prince Giovanni?"

Gio looks up at him with his eyes almost completely dark. "Tell me you like it," Alpha West says lowly. Gio's eyes widen and I can feel his claws extend. He parts his lips and I can see the canines peaking through. "The castle is to die for. Wouldn't you say?" Alpha West adds before walking away

I get out of his grip and turn towards him looking him in the eyes at his half shifted form. "Gio," I say softly trying hard to get through to him but his eyes continue to swirl black and his breaths come out as pants. His canines still peak from his lips and his claws are still extended. "Gio, lets take a break," I offer but he doesn't move. I mind link Santiago for some assistance and in less than a minute he is next to me.