Chapter 24

Thora Hawthorn:

I can feel how nervous he is. No matter how many reassuring glances he gives me and how strong he looks on the outside, I know how inwardly terrified he is. I have no clue if it's just the general being here or if it has anything with Alpha Weston being in the building. I do know that if it wasn't so loud in here then everyone would be able to hear the pounding of his heart. If I wasn't so close to him there is no way I would've heard it.

He looks good in his traditional uniform. My dad wears one like it but his is more bedazzled and decked out with military patches and that. The way Gio wears it though takes something i've always seen as ugly and made it look sexy as hell. He looks every bit a prince as he should, without a crown of course. He'll get that after I announce him and then he'll truly look the part.

We walk down the long winding steps on the left side of the ballroom just as my parents do the same on the right. The people are in an uproar at the sheer pageantry of it all and I hold the roll of my eyes and keep the smile firmly planted on my face. I can feel Gio squeezing my hand more firmly as we near the stage and I squeeze back just as a little reassurance to him.

Once we get on the stage Gio stands there letting me go as I walk towards my parents. I hug them both and kiss them on the cheek. My father beams at me and looks towards Gio briefly. "He's doing a good job so far, Thora," He whispers into my ear. I look him in the eyes with a genuine smile with a nod at the appreciation.

"My people!" My father turns and his booming voice draws a hush over the large crowd. "My kingdom! My family! I would like to thank you all for attending and looking on as we congratulate our daughter and celebrate with her on her twenty-second year!"

The people again roar is approval and I see several nods towards me. My eyes catches Prince Sebastian in the crowd standing in his own apparel and crown next to his parents. He flashes me a white toothed smile and his fangs gleam in the light. I quickly look away from him in hopes Gio didn't see that interaction. He has enough on his plate without me having to explain away Prince Sebastian.

"Thora! My darling, it with great pleasure and a heavy heart that I announce I might have to give you away. Of all of my years of ruling, Thora you are my greatest accomplishment and I am proud of you more and more everyday. Happy birthday, Darling," I smile warmly at my parents as the crowd again cheers. They quiet down and start to bow. A usual thing with them. All of them get on one knee with their hand over their hearts. I smile as I start to approach the podium but the look on my fathers face stops me. He's not looking at me though he's looking behind me. I also glance behind me and see Gio in the same position as everyone else. He bows his head to me and my eyes widen.

It's unusual for mates to do because we are equal but the amount of respect and courage it takes to do this to your soulmate is crazy. I am honored that he even bowed his head let alone get into a full stance of submission. I smile at him willing the tears in my eyes to go away and I tear my gaze away from him just as he rises.

"Now it is time for you to make an announcement," Father bellows clearly just as astonished as I am.

With a smile and a nod I walk closer to the podium and look on over the crowd. they wait expectantly and I don't choose to keep them waiting. "First I would just like to personally thank you all for your attendance and continuous support. I have a very important announcement to make. A lot of you have been waiting for me to claim a mate." I look briefly at Santiago who stands on the side of the stage with his father. Both of them dressed to impress this evening. "I have in fact found my mate," I say strongly before turning to Gio and holding out a hand to him.

Gio looks at me and keeps his eyes on only me. He walks towards me at an even pace and before grabbing my hand. I smile up at him and try and read his facial expression. "I'm fine," he whispers to me before kissing me on the head.