Chapter 9

Thora Hawthorn:

I watch him carefully. His face stays blank but I can see it in his eyes he goes through a series of emotions. "Dismissed," I say to everyone in the room and suddenly there is movement. His manservants pick up things quickly and take it with them and then they are gone and Nadia stands post at the door.

He watches closely as the door closes but his eyes don't meet mine again. He wears black joggers and a white t-shirt that spreads across his broad chest tightly. The clothes smell faintly of Rayan and I squint. Did Rayan lend him some clothes? Interesting as Rayan is only friendly with females he plans to get with later. He's actually kind of a douche-bag. I look up at my god-like mate and try and catch his eyes. I take a step forward and he flinches only slightly and takes a step back.

"Please," He grunts "Stay there." My eyes widen with hurt but I quickly mask it with what I can only hope is a soft smile.

"Sorry," I mumble even surprising myself "I'm Thora." He laughs humorlessly.

"I know who you are," He claims and his voice is deep and velvety. I just wish he would speak forever.

"What's your name?"

"Why?" He smiles at the ground before looking down at me from basically across the room. He's tall... like really fucking tall. "Finally come to your good senses enough to reject me?"

"Goddess no!" I exclaimed quickly. "why would I do that?"

"You should," He shrugs crossing his arms over his chest.

"Reject you?" I question crossing my own arms he finally meets my eyes.

"Yes," He says simply "Once you figure out who I am then you will. I mean, it seems my place in the dungeon didn't do it for you."

"And who are you?" My voice comes out in barely a whisper as I am particularly offended? Does he not want me? Does he think I'm not good enough for him? I mean I know I am not the prettiest but I am far from ugly. Does he want to leave? I mean, of course, he does he was forcibly placed into our dungeons. My wolf growls at the thought. He can't leave because that is totally out of the question. But how do I make him stay?

"No one important," He quietly says bringing me from my worries "I could never and will never be the king the people want. I will never be the mate you deserve."

"You don't know that," I say just as quietly. He nods.

"I do."

"I don't know you but I'd like to get to know you," I try and he scoffs. His light honey brown eyes ablaze.

"And if you don't like what you find?"

"We're mates."

"And that means?" again another scoff and a roll of his eyes "Thora, I am never going to be the mate you need. I'm weak. I can't protect myself and I can't protect you. Therefore, I cant protect this kingdom. I'll never be able to settle down and be a ruler. We will never work." I look to the ground to keep him from seeing the tears sting my eyes.

"But-" he cuts me off.

"No." He pauses with a sigh "I don't think it'll be a good idea if I stay here."

"Why? How would you know all of these things if you don't try?" I stammer taking a step closer to instinct. He steps back just as quickly. "Sorry," I apologize again.

"Reject me, please." He says with his eyes to the ground. He runs a shaky hand through his hair and I shake my head.

"Why can't you just reject me?" A demand. He looks up at me with an expressionless face. He holds my gaze for a few minutes and then looks just past me.

"I don't think I'd be able to," He says in almost a whisper. My eyes widen. He wants to be with me. He for some reason just thinks he doesn't deserve to. I have never seen my being a royal as anything but good. A blessed life some would say. But right now I am cursing the goddess for giving me, such successful parents.

"You don't have to think about the title right now. You are technically not even a royal until your coronation. Honestly, if it scares you we don't have to announce you and I can pull back the servants and even-" I pause "Even move your room if you want."

"It's not about that. . . well, it is but its not only about your lineage, Thora." He grumbles as he leans against the wall running his hand through his hair. "It's about all of it. It's about you."

"Me?"

"You."

"I don't understand-"

"You should take your father up on his offer to marry you to someone else. They would be a better fit not only for the throne but as your mate," He looks pained to say it.

"I don't want a different mate," I say back shaking my head. He sighs

"You will," He says back. We stand in silence for a couple of minutes. I try to regain myself. I don't cry often if at all. But something about talking to him sparks emotion from me. I wipe my face and look up to him. I find him already looking down at me.

"So what do you want to do?" I ask already afraid of the answer before he opens his mouth. He looked back up at me and I almost swoon. How is he still so sexy in a situation like this? I wonder if he's aware of just how good he looks.

"Leave," He says simply and my mind is pulled from the gutter so quickly I almost stop breathing. Leave? Does he want to leave? I don't say anything for a long while and I guess its too long for him. he sighs "If you want to put me back into the dungeon that's fi-" I cut him off with wide eyes.

"You'd rather the dungeon than be with me?" Again those pesky ass tears prick my eyes and I blink them away. What is going on with this cry baby ass shit today? I am going to be strong. Get rejected with a strong face and then go cry in my room. No. I am not getting rejected today. I refuse.

"I'm not saying that," He mumbles running his hand through his thick, black hair again.

"A week," I say quickly and he gives me a confused look.

"Wha-"

"Give me a week. A week to prove to you that we could work and I promise after that week then I'll let you go willingly." I see his skeptical look and I sigh "I'll send you off with enough money to go start a life somewhere and I'll never look for you."

"Thora," He says but never continues.

"Please?" I beg. I have never begged for anything in my life and here I am. Begging. "I promise," I hold out my pinky. He looks at me weirdly and then hesitates to move toward me. I don't back down. I hold my pinky out expectantly. I look at him through my eyelashes hoping to get a reaction.

Finally, he moves toward me and hooks his pinky with mine. Sparks pop and crackle around us making out interlocked fingers jerk. It's suddenly like I'm ten times more attracted to him and I know he feels it too. We both look at each other, eyes wide and full of emotion. He pulls away first and crosses his arm over his chest. He clears his throat.

"Just a week?" He clarifies and I nod.

"Just the one," I smile at him sweetly. "May I know your name now?" He hesitates but finally opens his mouth to speak.

"Giovanni," he says quietly and I smile so wide my face just might break.

"Have a goodnight, Giovanni," I say happily. He gives me the smallest of smiles but just as quickly as it came its gone. I wave awkwardly and turn to leave the room. I open the door to see Nadia across the hall from me near my door. I smile and close Giovannis' door behind me.