Chapter one ❤ "The Bad news"

Chapter One

                                                              "The Bad news"

It was the voice of the 'Call for prayer' that woke me up at ten to five. Time to get up and pray, I told myself and that's what I did.

After praying my 'Fajr' prayer, I walked up to the bookcase in my room and picked up my 'Quran', then as always I started reciting it until six in the morning.

Rubbing my eyes I put it back on its place and juggled with the thought of whether to sleep or not. I sat on the bed and instinctively drifted away to a deep sleep.

It was my step mother's voice calling me; "Mahra, Mahra." I opened my eyes which abruptly widened when I saw the sunlight coming through the window.

Oh No. No. No!

"Mahra, Are you still sleeping? It's late. Don't you have work today?" By the ttime she finished her sentence I was at the door.

"Mahra, My child. What are you doing sleeping till seven? You're already late for work."

"Yeah, I fell asleep. They'll kill me at work." I said turning from her to my wardrobe to pick up my towel and select my clothes for today.

"Okay. Hurry up and come down your brother and sister are already having breakfast." She said, making me gasp. I ran up to the wash room while she still kept saying things I didn't hear.

Once done. I quickly did some light morning make-up and wore my 'Abaya'. Turning to the dressing table I placed some make-up stuff, my phone and a few more things in my bag. Throwing it at my shoulder I went out of the room.

Just as mom had said Hamad, my brother and Maha my older sister were having breakfast.

"Salaam Alaikum." I greeted and headed straight for the door.

"Mahra, Where to?" that was my step brother Hamad. "Aren't you going to eat something first?" he asked.

"No, I am really late." I replied sparing him a glance as I walked to the door.

"But you won't be able to work if you don't eat something." Mom said. I opened my mouth to reply but was silenced by my sister.

"Mom is right, you should eat something first, we don't want you to faint in there." She smiled along with Hamad.

"Someone's trying to be funny." I looked at my older sister. "Looks like your 'Loving' husband has influenced you," I winked at her as she rolled her eyes. Maha was married to my cousin who lived in Abu Dhabi so we only got to see her on weekends and now that she has kids, she rarely gets time to see us.

"By the way, where are your kids?" I asked as I got closer to her to pick something and toss it in my mouth.

"They went back to Abu Dhabi last night." She answered.

"No wonder why it's so quite in here, usually when they are around Mom is holding her head and always asking for 'Pain killers'" This made Hamad laugh and Maha narrowed her eyes.

"Did you hear her mom?" Maha said. She almost looked hurt. This is something I never liked in her, she and Hamad would always team up against me. And I would fight back alone. But my sister is too sensitive sometimes. Maybe that's why Hamad teams up with her.

"We'll see when she will have her own kids, and then she will be the one to ask for 'Pain killers'." My mom joked, making them both laugh.

"See, so you agree kids are nothing but a headache." I pointed out, getting up.