Chapter Fifteen ♥ "Living for others"

Chapter Fifteen

                                         "Living for others"

 Mahra

“Mother.” Hamad burst into the house, and as always the first word on his mouth when he came home was ‘Mother’. “Mahra, where’s mother?” He cried as his eyes spotted me, sitting on the sofa, watching TV in the living room.

“In her room,” I replied, without taking a glance at him and kept my eyes on the TV screen instead. Usually when he comes back from work, he sits by me and asks how I was and if possible he’d tease me too, but today something else had him worked up. He didn’t chat much and made his way to mother’s room. This made me turn to him with a raised eyebrow. It must be something urgent or important; I could guess that from his rushing form. And besides, people say Salaam first. Hello! What’s going on?

I watched his back as he got in mother’s room and closed the door behind him. For a second my heart skipped a beat, Is Hamad in trouble? Has he done something wrong? And if he had, heaven forbid, would he go telling mom about it!?

Clueless and curious, I turned back to the movie that I was watching and pulled the blanket, I had on, up to my shoulders to keep me warm. The weather had gotten colder now and my fragile body couldn’t keep up with it. Hamad always made fun of me when he saw me covered in a blanket and wearing socks to keep me warm. He says I remind him of the elderly. Jerk!

Today had been quite uneventful, and unbelievably boring. But most Tuesdays usually are, I’d say. When at work, I wished just like my boss, I had taken my leave earlier too. I saw him, Zayed, get out of his office at around 11:00 o’clock and wished I’d accompany him. Since I’ve known that my boss is my brother’s best friend. It has made things even worse now. I can’t talk about ‘My boss’ in front of him, don’t know why! Nor can I make fun or call him names in front of Hamad. He doesn’t appreciate it!

I curled my hands in my laps like a young sleeping child and forgot about the TV, which was displaying a movie for no audience. My body felt weak throughout the day and there were many chances of me getting sick, ‘cause I felt the symptoms. Resting my head on the sofa, I felt my eyelids getting heavier. However, both my ears and mind were with Hamad, waiting for the doorknob to click.

At quarter past five, I opened my eyes at the sound of Hamad’s soothing laughter. I looked at the door and noticed that the meeting was finally over. My brother came out of the room with a smile on his face. When his eyes touched mine, I saw his smile turn into an evil grin. A mischievous look appeared in his brown eyes.

“Finally!” He sighed, dramatically and then smirked. I crooked an eyebrow; “What?” I asked. Hamad walked up to where I sat and upon approaching me, he grabbed hold of my long hair making me scream out his name. With his free hand he took my blanket and threw it away.

The cold air brushed me and I began scolding him, calling him names I haven’t in a while. Seeing my utter agitation, he laughed out loud. I continued cursing him and he laughed harder. Naturally his laughter was irritating if it was on me. Hamad knew what my next move was, so to save himself he let go of my hair and made for his escape. But before he could do so, I landed a punch at his arm and watched him wince. That stupid grin was still there on his lips.