Chapter Sixteen ♥ "Persuasion"

Chapter sixteen

                                                     “Persuasion”

                                          قُلْ لي – ولو كذباً – كلاماً ناعماً قد كادً يقتُلُني بك التمثالُ

Zayed

Friday, 12:50 PM

“Salaam Alaikum,” Zayed greeted as he entered the house, coming back from the mosque where he performed his Friday prayer. Umm Zayed, his sister Laylah and his aunt Deema- Badr’s wife, sat there talking. They all looked up at his approach and returned his greetings, smiling as they did.

“Taqabbal Allah,” The women said in unision.

“Minna-wa-Minkum.” replied Zayed, tucking his car keys in his pocket. “Umaya (mother) what’s there for lunch?” He asked looking at his mother.

“Everything Habibi, (dear)” Umm Zayed stood up to ask the maids to serve lunch. “Where are your father and Badr?”

“Father saw his friend Uncle Mohammed in the mosque, who invited them over for lunch.” Zayed informed.

“Why didn’t you join them?” His mother wondered, but just by looking at her sons face she understood why. He seemed a little off these days. She nodded with no further questions and headed to the kitchen.

“They’ll miss my cooking, then.” came Deema’s voice. Zayed turned to her, smiling.

“You’ve cooked today, Deema?” He tried to sound enthusiastic, not addressing Deema as ‘Aunty’. She was too young to own that title.

“Yeah, your uncle told me that you missed my cooking.” She jeered. ‘That was true’ thought Zayed, but he’d never say it in front of his mother to not hurt her feelings. When in America he adored the food Deema cooked.

“I am starving, could you serve it then?” Zayed requested, and didn’t receive a response from them but there was some moment in the living room suggesting they’d gotten up. He had walked out of the living room and turned left to head to the guest room where he heard some voices. “Where’s Jassim by the way?” He called.

“In his room, he came back early.” Laylah shouted back.

Holding that thought in his mind, he entered the guest room where the twins and Mona were seated. They all were laughing at something that Khawlah said. “I swear our teachers are so stupid.” She made fun. Zayed walked up to them, smiling.

“Who’s so stupid?” He asked, grabbing their attention. He crouched down a little and kissed Khawlah on her forehead.

“Our history teacher, she’s like a hundred years old.” Khawlah said, grinning. “I have told her a million times that my name is Khawlah but she still calls me Kholoud. I mean can’t she see that I am prettier than my twin.” Her comment made Zayed laugh.

“Oh please, I am taller than you.” Kholoud retorted as she stood up to hug her uncle. Zayed kissed her forehead as well and sat down beside her. “And don’t forget uncle Zayed likes me more than he likes you.” The young girl said, laughing.

Khawlah, on the other hand, frowned at that because she hated how her twin won every argument claiming that Zayed loved her more. Zayed noticed the change in her mood.