Chapter Five ❤ "An unsuccessful attempt"

Chapter Five

                                 ‘An unsuccessful attempt’

  Dear colleague,

It is with great pleasure that we announce the promotion of our colleagues below.

These people are tremendous assets to our company and will continue to work in their respective department/division while being an integral part of the development of Precision Group.

Please join me in congratulating them on their promotion.

Kind regards,

Zayed Bin Al Waleed

Director

**

That was the email that held my future in it, my happiness and my mood for the up-coming two days.I scrolled through the whole page with my heart beating faster than usual and my hands shook a little as I searched for any sign of my name or picture.

My name was nowhere to be found, I looked again, now a little slowly, in case I might have been mistaken but when I heard Noora squeak, realization kicked in, and my jaw fell on the ground. Unbelievable! It’s her they’ve chosen.

“Oh my God! Look, that’s me!” She said agitatedly. “They chose me!” She nearly jumped in her place. That was such an unprofessional act to be honest, made me feel like she was a young kid who’d just been given a candy.

I was tongue tied. I couldn’t believe what was happening so I kept quite when Fatima congratulated her. She was so happy. If it wasn’t for the roof, she would’ve been flying right now.

Then finally, she remembered that I was in the room. So much for being a friend. She looked at me as her smile faded. “I am so sorry Mahra that you didn’t get it.” Even as she spoke, I could see that she didn’t actually mean it. She must be so proud right now.

“It’s okay,” I tried to utter. “Congratulations.” I faked a smile, while inside I was dying.

Right that instant Khalifah walked into the room and looked at us. From the look on his face he seemed to know the news, of course everyone knows!

His eyes flickered from Noorah, who’s face brightened at the sight of him, and then to me as he smiled. Seeing his smile made me feel disgusted because it was filled with sympathy. I hate people sympathizing me.

Noorah was grinning uncontrollably, now more than when she’d first known the news. It’s amazing what a person’s presence can do. Noorah has always had a thing for Khalifah who never seemed to care about her. He and Noorah talked a little where he welcomed her to his ex post and right that moment I realized another fact. Oh No. No. No. I will be working under Noorah now. I’ll be her assistant manager. This could not get any worse!

I didn’t remember what else they said because of my astonishment. I sat there on the chair wishing over and over again that they’ll just call me now and say that I was the one who got it and that there had been a mistake.

“Mahra, I am so sorry.” Fatima’s voice said. I jumped out of my trauma and looked at her. She did look sorry and really sad which made me feel even worse. I looked around and saw neither Noorah nor Khalifah.