Chapter Thirty Two~ A walk to remember

Chapter Thirty two

"A Walk to Remember"

قلوُبنا بسيطه جداً, بدليل أنهّا وقت الفرحة تنسى الماضّي

Mahra

Thursday- 3:30 PM

This past week had went by pleasantly, away from Zayed and his complicated world. After my breakdown, last Saturday, I expressed my longing for my mother, and my intentions to see her. The very next day, Zayed took me to her and allowed me to spend the rest of the week there. In addition to my mother, I got to see my sister Reem, who looked very pregnant, and had come here along with her daughter and son for the winter break. Fortunately, after many lectures from mom and Reem on the subject, I was finally able to work my issues with Hamad and Mona. I had accepted their pairing but had still not forgiven Hamad yet.

On Tuesday, Hamad, accompanied by my uncles, had gone to officially ask for Mona's hand. I heard that Uncle Waleed had been exceedingly happy, but hadn't given Hamad an answer just yet, saying that they were going to consult it with Mona first. Off course I knew what Mona's answer would be!

Forget about them. I said to myself. Why was I even bothering to think about them!? It's their life and they're free to do whatever they want to do with it. Besides I should be happy for them. I remembered Reem's words.

Trying to forget my troublesome life, I began focusing on the game that I was playing around with my niece Asma and my young cousin Saleh. We were playing dodge ball out in the garden, all three of us running in different directions, laughing as we did so. The beach ball was with me and I was thinking of who to attack next, that was when we heard the doorbell ring and I saw Delisia sprinting from the kitchen to open it.

Unconsciously I had thrown the ball a little harder which hit Asma on her face and she began crying. My heart fell in my stomach, and slightly scared of her mother, I ran to hug her but she wouldn't stop weeping. I checked for any injures and her face looked fine.

"I am so sorry Hayati." I apologized, hugging her tightly, and she cried harder. Talk about being melodramatic. She was my niece after all. "Sorry, I didn't see you." I repeated and picked her up in my arms, hoping she would stop soon, saving me another of her mom's lectures of irresponsibility! "Let me see." I told her, examining her face again.

She pointed her index finger to her small nose. "My nose hurts." She innocently said, and I kissed it.

"It'll be fine." I assured her, as I heard footsteps behind me, knowing that that was Hamad. "See uncle Hamad is here and he'll make the pain go away now." I said, and turned around to hand her over to Hamad, who knew better how to deal with her.

It was when I turned that I went completely rigid, as my eyes fell into a pair of hazel brown ones, deeper than a never lasting land. There standing before me was my troubled fate, my handsome pain and my proud man, staring at me not as dryly as he normally would. When I twirled, I hadn't just turned to face him, I had turned my back on my temporary happiness as well, because with Zayed came pain, came heartache and so much more. The spot that stung at the bottom of my heart, began prickling once more, after days of me trying to hush it.

Getting cold and pale, I realized I wasn't ready to see him, not in the slightest. I bit my lip, remembering what I was wearing, a casual skinny jeans, a loose black T-shirt and my hair was all over the place. No, I shouldn't care about how I looked in front of him. In reality, I wasn't in anyway ready to see him and wasn't expecting him to come pick me up today.