Chapter Ten ♥ "Accusations"

Chapter Ten

                                             “Accusations”

At a Friday afternoon, Zayed lay there on his bed, after coming back from the mosque. He tried his best to close his eyes and drift into a deep sleep, forgetting everything that was on his mind from the past week, but couldn’t. He was utterly angry, confused and disturbed. Angry at himself for not carrying out his father’s wish, confused because he couldn’t get how his father could choose Mahra, out of all the girls in the world and disturbed because it was the first time in many years he had turned his back to his father and put up an argument, specially in situations like these, when Waleed was sick.

And once again, he recalled the odd conversation that night with his father, one that got odder every minute. Waleed’s suggestion had left Zayed dumbstruck, when he told him to consider Mahra as his bride he couldn’t help but trip.

“What do you mean?” He furrowed his eyebrows. “Mahra who?” He had asked, startled.

Waleed smiled a wide smile. “Mahra Ali,” He announced. “Hamad’s sister.”

Zayed noticed how his father had addressed Mahra as his friend’s sister rather than his employee. He didn’t have any words to say and so kept on staring at his father as the news sank deeper. Waleed waited for a reaction, but Zayed had none. “So? What do you think?” he questioned his son’s silence. An unexpected and confused smile appeared on Zayed’s face.

“There’s nothing to think about.” He stated. Waleed didn’t know whether that was a ‘yes’ or a ‘No’. “You surely don’t expect me to marry my employee.” He contradicted, disappointed that his father would choose such a girl for him. He saw him shake his head at his words, disapprovingly.

“Zayed, let me clear some matters for you, son, ” Waleed interrupted, with a raise of his hand. “Mahra was never your employee. I chose her for you long before she had started working in the company. I did that as a favor to my dear friend, Ali. It also was my decision to put her under my sight, so I could have a closer look at the girl before making my choice. Besides seeing your closeness with Hamad, I think she’d be a suitable choice for you.”

Zayed couldn’t believe that his father had planned and was working on this from a long time ago. And as far as her relationship with Hamad is concerned then there is nothing that they both have in common. Surely father didn’t realize that! “And this is your conclusion? After years of observation, you still choose her for me?” He was amazed at how his father hadn’t seen the girl he had. Wasn’t it clear that they both were total opposites?

“There is nothing wrong with Mahra,” Waleed spoke in a serious tone, his voice held a little bit of threat, as if warning his son to not say anything bad about his daughter. Zayed didn’t like the way his eyes shone when he spoke of her. He knew at once that his father was serious about her.

“I didn’t say there was anything wrong with her, father, but she just isn’t someone I could..” Zayed trailed off. Not wanting to add all of his personal opinions of the girl with his father. “I have never thought of it that way.”

“Well, you can start considering her now.” Waleed said with some hope and that was what frustrated Zayed further. Why was his father being so persistent?