Chapter Thirty Three ~ "His Pride, his dignity, his Status."

(This chapter is dedicated to my dearest first nephew, who made me an aunt for the first time. Love you and thanks for bringing us joy and happiness.)

Chapter Thirty Three

"His Pride, his dignity, his status."

أيها الساكنُ عَيني ودمي،
أين في الدنيا مكانٌ لست فيه ؟

Zayed

Friday- 11:23 AM

She is just like another ordinary woman, who has been through much more than her weak shoulders could carry, as a result Mahra became tough on the outside but very fragile from the inside. She isn't as feisty and brave as she was when Zayed first met her, although the pretense of being as such remain unchanged. She struggles to live her life her way but is bound by the obligations of the society. Lately, looking at her eyes, fills him with guilt to the very last drop, so he tries to lessen her burdens by behaving gentleman like with her. Like everybody else Zayed, too, was sympathizing her.

Mahra took note of that, and has been very clear about her dislike towards his new 'nice' behavior. What she called nice, was apparently his normal behavior, with people he didn't hold any grudges against and at days when he'd have his guard down. He could see her trying to make the days bearable and he didn't have any problem contributing to that, just so the boat could sail a little longer than it would otherwise.

But today his actions were influenced by his curiosity and not sympathy. He'd always found it hard to comprehend his father's loving nature towards this particular woman. Upon observing his father's love and care towards Mahra, Zayed wondered what was so different about his wife! So he thought to figure her out. It'll only take him one conversation to do that!

Now that he stood at the top of the hill, with a woman the world calls his, Zayed realized he shouldn't push it much, after all every word and every silence has consequences. As that thought ran through his brain, he felt her retreating just one step, refusing to stand next to him. Had he hurt her pride that much or was that how much she loathed him?

Zayed allowed himself to take a quick glance at her, and found her looking at him. As soon as their eyes met, she looked away as if caught stealing.

Sensitive... Zayed thought she was.

"You interrupted my evil thoughts." Mahra came clean.

Out spoken... He kept marking her with different qualities upon every sentence she said. "Yeah? What were you planning to do?" frowned Zayed, turning to face her.

"You need not know." Mahra shook her head, lips twitching.

Guilty...

"Stab me with an imaginary knife?" He guessed, peering at her, eyes light.

She smiled at that, and looked from the sun to him. "Well, I was looking daggers at you."

Liar... Zayed looked closely at her eyes. "But your eyes tell me otherwise." He contradicted, and watched her scoff loudly.