Chapter Four ❤ "Heading for a fall"

Chapter four

                                                "Heading for a fall"

 “Mahra”

I lay there on my bed, staring at the ceiling as a flood of thoughts dashed through my brain.

Work, new boss, cousin’s engagement. And again Work, new boss, cousin’s engagement. These thoughts replayed in my brain like a ticking clock.

Yesterday, I didn’t have some quality time to sit by myself and organize my thoughts or may be these new changes needed more than just one day to get settled in my brain.

When I came back home my mother had yet another news to break down to me. My cousin ‘Sara’ who is three years younger than me, just got engaged. Now, how great is that? And you know how mothers are, she didn’t really say it to my face but most of whatever she was saying, indicated to ‘Me getting married’ as soon as possible.

“May Allah bless her!” She said at dinner. “That’s what every girl’s fate is. After all, a woman only looks good in her husband’s household.” She eyed me. Arrggh!! I probably heard that more than ten times yesterday. Thankfully my sister, Maha had gone back to her husband’s house or else yesterday would have been at the top of my ‘Worst days list’.

Please God, give me some patience for the upcoming two months until she gets married. I know I will be the one to bear the consequences of Sara’s decision. Couldn’t she wait a little, she’s barely out of her teens.

I sighed deeply not knowing why this reminded me of my father. I wish he was here today to support me. I am sure he would’ve understood me. He had always encouraged my independent thinking. He wanted me to take care of myself and have an open mind. “Minds are like parachutes,” he had always said, “If you don’t open them..it’s deadly.”

 Aside from him, the only other person who I felt had understood and encouraged my independency was Mr. Waleed, but unfortunately he left too.

I recalled the conversation I had with him two days ago, in my office. I had complained about how devastated the news of his departure had made me. I still remember the smile he wore when he looked at me. ‘We only part to meet again.” His words had made me laugh then, but what did he really mean?

The way he’d come to personally see me off meant more to me than anyone could imagine. I always felt amazingly close to him like he was family or something. I hadn’t known him up until a couple of years ago when I had begged my father to get me a job because I didn’t want to complete my studies. So he had ‘talked’ to one of his friends and then Mr. Waleed had called me for an interview. Without caring about what degree I held, he employed me. Sometimes your parents’ friends can come with fringe benefits.

After about two weeks, I learned from him that he and my father had been very close friends back in the days and they hadn’t seen each other for quite some time. And it was my job that got them back to that old friendship.

Mr. Waleed had always been there for my family, even after my father passed away, he kept in touch with Hamad and paid us visits, occasionally. To me, he felt like an important person in my life.

His son had made a great deal of changes in our work environment in just about two days, which was something I didn’t like. Unbelievably today, I went to work dragging my feet unsatisfied. It has been this way since the last couple of days. I have been disapproving the new changes, new rules and the new BOSS.