Chapter Twenty Nine "A blast from the past"

Chapter Twenty Nine

"A blast from the past"

"رُدّيني عليَّ أو هاتيني إليَّ"

 Mahra

A smile spread on my face as I surveyed our front yard and found Hamad's car in the garage, which meant he was home. Upon turning left I saw the garden which was as green as I remembered it last. The outside kitchen's door was open as well. Delesia must be there, helping mother cook, I thought. Our house was exactly how I had left it, only a little too quiet.

"Hala Wallah, Ya marhabah." A very dear and familiar voice welcomed, and I looked up.

And there, there he was. There was home, there was safety and protection. There was all that I had missed immensely this past week. In that smile, in that face lay my bliss and my internal happiness. There standing a few feet away was my brother... Hamad.

My heart beats quickened upon seeing him. And my lazy steps now became quick and desperate ones. Without realizing I had left my husband behind, to engulf my brother in a nostalgic hug. A hug filled with love, pain and longing.

When he hugged me back, I let out the breath I had been holding. And the first word I could utter was. "Habibi. (Dear)." I held him tightly, afraid that someone would steal him away from me.

Now I realized how blessed I was under his shadow. He'd protect me from anything and everything. He'd back me up and make me strong. He was the reason I held my head high and looked the world in the eyes. He was my pride.

"I missed you." I told him, trying to close my eyes and control the tears but they betrayed me yet again.

Hamad shook with silent laughter, "Alright, let me at least say hello to the man." He complained, reminding me of the calamity that I brought along with me. I heard my man chuckle from behind me, which surely was pretentious.

I didn't resist when Hamad gently grabbed my shoulders and pulled me away. He focused on my face, my teary eyes, wet cheeks and red face. "What's wrong? What happened?" He questioned, the smile of formality still there on his lips.

I shook my head, meaning 'nothing'. "I missed you." I repeated once again.

He held my face with both hands and planted a kiss on my forehead. "But it's only been a week." He said, staring at me.

"Still." I muttered, removing my tears with the back of my hand. Only I knew what kind of a week it had been for me.

He threw his head back, slightly. "What am I gonna do with you, Mahroo." He called me by my nick name, which I had missed a lot, and then moved along to welcome his friend.