Chapter 34 ~ "One Step Closer"

This chapter is dedicated  to @TheQueenofDarkness for always pushing us to keep writing :)

Chapter Thirty Four

"One Step Closer"

حبني بوجهي الضاحك أو بوجهي الحزين

‏في لحظة الهدوء أو في لحظة الجنون

‏في قلقي، في غيرتي

في غضبي عليك، في حنيني

Last Friday

The day was coming to an end, daylight fading and darkness taking its place. Everybody had decided to leave, packed their stuff and were getting in their cars except for Zayed. And the reason behind that was Mahra. He looked around for her, but she was nowhere to be found. There was this one place where he thought he might find her. Tired and annoyed, without telling anyone, he went to search for her.

Knowing the place too well, he took a shortcut and came down to the tree tunnel that led to the swimming pool area. Climbing up the few stairs, he got to his destination and found her right where he thought he would, next to the swimming pool, under the patio, shaded by the weeping fig.

She was busy reading the information written on the can of her soft drink and didn't detect him coming. As he got closer, his feet made a splashing sound on the wet ground which was what caught her attention and she looked up, gasping loudly.

"You startled me." She pronounced, hand placed on her heart.

"What are you doing here alone?" He asked for the second time today.

"What does it look like I am doing?" Mahra gave him a smug look.

"Witchcraft?" Zayed guessed, sarcastically.  

"Yes, I was working on a spell." She went along. "How to get rid of my husband in three days!"

She heard him chuckle and he stopped at a distance from her. "Isn't there a faster spell?" He put forward, surveying her, closely.

"Not that I know of, but there are faster ways?"

"Like stabbing him or poisoning him?" Zayed recommended, watching as a strand of her hair teased her face.

"No, more like annoying him to death." Mahra asserted, tucking her hair behind her ear.

There was a small pause.

"Don't you think you've already done that?" Zayed pointed out. She looked up and their eyes met. So many feelings unsaid but said at the same time.

"Let's go, everyone's leaving." He informed, gesturing towards where he came from.

She shook her head. "No. I don't wanna go. Can't we just stay here?" She questioned, eyes hopeful.