Chapter Twenty ♥ "Value of families"

Chapter Twenty

                                                 “Value of families”

Mahra

Sunday

I was in my room, starting to get ready for the dinner which was held in our house for my in-laws. My mother had invited all the women in Zayed’s family over for dinner and aunt Amna joined in as well. It was a small family get-together. Since there was no party for the engagement so this was the reparation. 

Sara had come on my request and was now helping me get ready for the dinner. We laughed at my silliness as I told her about my surprising encounter with my fiancé, Zayed. I explained my failed attempt of escaping the maylis in hopes to not face him. It had been the reason for my abashment day before yesterday.

His eyes; his hazel brown eyes that were always alive yet very silent, kept flashing back in my brain since our confrontation. I could paint those eyes, I thought to myself. My heart came out of my chest when I first entered the room and saw him sitting there, looking at me. What his eyes did to me, nothing else ever could.

“That’s it? he didn’t say anything else?” She asked, her eyes wide, as I told her about my conversation with Zayed.

“He asked me not to be too harsh on Hamad.” I forced back a smile.  

“Really?” She grinned. I nodded in reply.

“Why would he say that?” She questioned, giving me a playful look. I shrugged my shoulders. “He must’ve seen how blunt and outspoken you are,” Sara guessed. “That’s why he said that.” She answered her own question.

I laughed and shook my head, remembering my first conversation with him in his office and the time when I had screamed at a poor driver for bumping my car and Zayed had seen me.

Sara’s eyes were fixed at me, as I thought back to those times; her interest and doubt increased. She knew me well enough to read my expressions. I looked away, trying to brush the old embarrassment off.

“What have you done?” She guessed, raising her eyebrow questioningly at me.

“Nothing!” My voice was unconvincing which turned her doubts into certainty.

“Mahrooooo,” She moved a little closer to my side of the bed. “What have you done?”  

“Are you crazy? Get away from me!” I said, standing up and throwing her hand that she placed on my shoulder, all the while smiling.

If I told her about our first meeting, when I refused his help, our second conversation where I had attacked him with my big mouth and accused him for not knowing his job, she’ll definitely think that’s why he liked me. I knew Sara’s logic, it never made sense.

Seeing me quite for a while, Sara gasped, exaggeratingly. “Is it that embarrassing?”

I thought about it. Well, it was. Pretty much!  But I wasn’t going to tell her to double the embarrassment.

“Not as embarrassing as yesterday. Uff I literally wished to vanish in front of them. You should’ve seen the way he and Hamad were smiling when Hamad tricked me!” I recalled and flushed.