Chapter 37

"Shit!" Harry cursed when he saw spells heading straight towards them. Whatever spell Lupin used was drowned in the noise, but a piece of the wall next to one of the younger werewolves was ripped off and placed in front of their group, shielding them from incoming attacks.

"Those people are crazy." Harry concluded, watching as a few werewolves broke off and attacked as soon as their makeshift shield broke under the onslaught of spells, and proceeded to tear their attackers apart, limb by limb. It didn't matter that Lupin was the only one in this group with a wand, the rest of them were a force to be reckoned even without the aid of a twig and fancy words.

Whatever Dumbledore wanted to achieve with this attack, the old goat would have to fight to get it.

Harry gritted his teeth as one of the werewolves fell, taking his opponent down with him. While they had superior strength, there were spells created for the specific purpose to take them down.

Harry glared at the wizards as he was stuck in the middle of their group, hidden under the Invisibility Cloak together with Diablo. Greyback had ordered it, claiming that it would be easier for them if the enemy didn't know that they had a squib walking in their midst. And while Harry could see the logic in his reasoning, it irked him to be told that he was basically useless in this kind of situation.

Harry wanted to do something, but Greyback had made it clear that he was supposed to stay unnoticed; he supposed hurling potions on them wouldn't help him to do that. And it was hard to get a clean shot when people continually stepped in front of him.

The fact that Lupin hadn't moved from his side further irked Harry. It was like the man didn't trust Harry's ability to take care of himself. Lupin might be a spy for Voldemort but Harry didn't trust him the least.

He still couldn't believe that they were unable to leave the same way as the pack had entered. Apparently, the goblins had made the tunnel with the intention of one day invading the Ministry, and when they did so, they would either be certain of victory, or they would be facing their certain death.

Harry didn't like the thought of leaving the fight to others, even if Greyback's arrival proved that Voldemort knew about this invasion, or whatever he was supposed to call this. But he was time after time being proved a burden rather than useful.

Harry crashed into Greyback's back as the board shouldered man stopped rather abruptly, the werewolf giving no sign that he noticed it as Harry jumped back with a hasty muttered curse. He had already discovered that these people were willing to give up their lives to keep him alive, only causing Harry to want to get out of here all the sooner.

It didn't help that he was in one of the places he least of all wanted to be. At current time Harry was absolutely convinced that some greater force was out for him. Why else should he be in the Ministry the day the rebels attacked? It was the only reasonable explanation Harry could think of.

A hand around his arm yanked Harry out of the course of a stray curse, done so fluently that only a keen observer would know that there was an invisible person in the werewolves' midst, and for once Harry thanked his luck that the Order members were too occupied to take notice of that kind of details.

"Stay close to me if you don't wanna be trampled down, pup." Greyback's whole body was tensed, as if ready to jump, the longing to join the ongoing fight shone from him but the alpha had so far made an effort to keep Harry safe between him and Lupin, and it didn't look like he would be changing tactic any time soon.

"Tell the damn furball, that if he keeps yanking us around like this, I'll be sick. And if that happens, he will be bitten." Harry wasn't sure if Diablo could vomit, but he dutifully gave the message to Greyback. If nothing else, it might stop Diablo's body from tightening around his own body to the point of strangulation.