Chapter 8

Harry's feet were barely touching the ground as he ran down the stairs. Hearing the footsteps of his pursuers behind him, Harry swore lowly under his breath. Something drastically would have to be done, if he wanted to get rid of those following him.

Sidestepping a group of Hufflepuffs, which came from a staircase which had just connected with the one Harry was currently on, Harry left the stairs and turned around a corner. Seeing that no one else was in the Entrance Hall Harry reached into his pocket, finding his Invisibility Cloak he had taken to carry on his person no matter what.

He sent a curt smile to the portrait of a naked woman, who was hiding behind a bush, and wrapped the cloak around him. Harry slowed down to walk, knowing that fast movements would heighten the risk of being detected.

It didn't escape his notice that the woman had disappeared from her portrait, she was probably heading of to inform someone of what was going on.

Harry started walking away when his pursuers rounded the same corner he had come from.

Bellatrix's eyes were dancing with mirth as she slowly twirled her wand between her fingers in an almost lazy manner. "Ity little favourite nephew, come out and play with your beloved Aunt Bellatrix." Harry shuddered at the sickened sweet voice she was using, as if the witch honestly expected that it would be enough to make him come forth.

Behind her, Rodolphus and Rabastan appeared, looking lightly winded. Considering that they had been following him from the second floor near Myrtle's bathroom and the whole way to the Entrance Hall, Harry couldn't be surprised. "You are aware that he's not really your nephew, right?"

Bellatrix hushed at her husband and hit Rabastan on top of his head to silence his snickering. "I know, but his grandmother was a Black, which makes him family too. And nephew sounds much better than calling him cousin. Besides, this way I have two nephews whom I can teach all those nice little tricks I know."

Harry rolled his eyes, knowing better than to try and understand the way the witch's brain worked. He continued his retreat, reaching the double door leading outside. Harry twisted his body, so his hand was hidden beneath the cloak as he grabbed the doorhandle and he could meanwhile keep an eye on the discussing trio.

His plan about an unnoticed escape was spoiled when wind swept through the cracked open door and lifted up his cloak. "Potter wait!" Harry wondered if Rabastan really believed that he would follow the order, when he very well knew what fate awaited him if he was caught by the trio.

Still wrapped in the Invisibility Cloak Harry took off and went outside. To any spectators it must be a rather strange sight to see a pair of legs and a head moving around on their own without the rest of the body anywhere in sight.

It surprised him that no one had attempted to curse him. No matter what the reason was, Harry wasn't late to use it to his advantage. Normally he would probably not be able to outrun those people because of his shorter legs. But when he'd been in Diagon Alley he'd gotten the seamstress to cut his robes, so he would be able to move his legs more freely than the normal model would have allowed him to.

Also, wizards and witches tended to rely heavily on their wands. Harry didn't have such a thing to make life easy for him, so he was used to moving around.

Rain had washed away the snow, leaving the ground muddy and slippery. Harry himself was about to fall several times. And yet Bellatrix continued running after him with no big problems despite the high heels Harry knew she was wearing.

Harry headed for a lonesome tree, knowing that he would be safe once he reached it. It was a rare specimen, and no one would dare to get too close or to hurt it just to get their hands on him.