Chapter 19

"Get away from the street, you nutcase!" Frightened by the yell and the deafening sound from the horn Harry jumped back to the safety of the pavement, away from the fast passing cars.

He was nearly pushed right back on the street when an obese man in a grey suit brushed past him, almost knocking him off his feet. But Harry regained his balance before he could fall on the hard asphalt, his purchases still safely in his arms.

When Harry looked around, the man was long gone, having disappeared into the sea of Muggles.

He had run away from the magical area, fearing that Lupin or someone else from the Order had followed after him. And by the time he had stopped running, it hadn't taken long for Harry to realise that he had gotten hopelessly lost. Deciding that it would do him no good to stay where he was, a lady who smelled of cats and old chocolate cake had been looking at him strangely, Harry had started drifting around, half hoping that he would stumble over a sign with the Leaky Cauldron written on it.

Soon Harry found himself distracted by his self given task.

Harry vaguely recalled being dragged to Muggle places when his relatives for some reason hadn't been able to lock him up in the cupboard. Back then he had been too young to really remember anything and too fearful that Aunt Petunia, who had been walking in front of him with long strides, would leave him behind, if he dared to stop and take a look around him.

To him it had been an unpleasant experience.

Since Dumbledore had removed him from Privet Drive 4, Harry's only connection to the Muggle world had been what he had seen in his visions through the years.

That still didn't explain why people held strangely formed devices up to their ears and seemed to be talking to empty air as they hurried forward, each with a destination in mind.

It seemed like his visions didn't help him to understand the evolution the Muggles had went through in his years of absence.

Realising that Lupin might be on his trail got Harry on the move. He didn't fancy being captured now where he had gotten away from the man. But perhaps Lupin was too busy with nursing a headache, that old witch had certainly not bothered to cast any feather light charms on her handbag. Oh, the look on Lupin's face when he had suddenly found himself under attack was almost worth the trouble Harry was going through.

Now he only had to wait for someone to alert Voldemort, so the man could use the tracking charms in the bracelet to find him. Since he had been with the three Lestranges, it might take a while before that happened. Until then he would simply be on the move and hope for the best, not that there was much else he would be able to do.

Passing a line of people where the one in front was handed something that looked edible through a hole in the wall, Harry's stomach gave a painful twist when he caught scent of the food. It reminded him that he hadn't eaten anything since this morning.

While he was lost, it didn't mean that he had to go hungry too.

Finding his pouch while carefully holding the purchases for Severus, Harry went to the back of the line. He noticed the lingering looks the Muggles were giving him, but decided to ignore how unnerved they made him. It wasn't all that different from how people had looked at him before they had learned of his psychic abilities.

When Harry saw the colourful pictures of the food the shop offered, he felt his bravery leave him rather quickly. None of those dishes were something he had ever seen served at Hogwarts, that was for sure. Vaguely he knew that Dudley had eaten some of these, but Harry had never been allowed to have some, and he had no idea what they might taste like.