(24) - a bigger family

a bigger family part 1

_____________

Olivia and Harry were married for now five years. Four years of trying to build a family, four years of tears, anger and happiness.
They gave up at some point. No baby wanted to grow in Olivia's tummy. No baby that wanted to call them mummy and daddy. No baby to kiss, hug or cuddle.

They accepted the bitter truth. They accepted the fact that kids were not meant for them.
They also accepted the beautiful people with ugly personality's opinions.

'Do this. Do that. How could you not have kids at the age of 28? Why are you married if having kids is not in your plans?'

Explaining was hard. It was a little embarrassing to admit the bitter truth.
Not having kids was not common; at least for them. Olivia's sister was pregnant with her third nephew and Harry's sister had a happy marriage and two children by her side.

"What if we adopted?", Harry found himself asking. His wife had to admit that she had never thought about that.
But that's what happened the 23rd of April of that year. They adopted the only child that people tried to take care of, but never succeeded. A ten year old girl named Meredith.
They heard her story and sighed sadly. The woman who owned the orphanage explained how much love the girl needed and that if they weren't willing to do their very best, to not adopt her because her heart was already too broken.

"I think that this is going to be your family, darling.", said Marla as she fixed the girl's skirt and shirt.
"That's what you've said when I was adopted the last three times.", the little girl sighed and looked for her tiny rucksack that contained some clothes and her favourite stuffed animal.

"It's not your fault, dear. Be good, okay?", Marla placed a kiss on her head and helped her put her shoes. "Always.", little Meredith responded.
"Thank you.", the woman's eyes glistened with a sheet of tears. She was going to miss that little sunshine, yet she hoped for her to never come back again.

"I'm Harry.", were the words that Harry decided to say, after him and his wife looked at the little girl in front of them.
Meredith didn't look at them, her eyes stayed on the ground and her tiny hands gripped her tiny rucksack.
"And I'm Olivia.", said his wife with a small smile and as they noticed that they weren't going to get words from her, they shook Marla's hand again and thanked her for everything.

Olivia started driving their car, while Harry sat on the passenger seat and their little girl behind them.
Every now and then, her eyes left the road to see how the other members of the family did.
It just felt very awkward and weird.
But there was happiness too.

"What's your name, darling?", Olivia decided to ask and she noticed how the little girl's head lifted up to meet her eyes.
"M-Meredith.", they both smiled.
"How old are you?"
"Ten. I'm ten years old."

Questions here and there. They discovered that she loved the colour orange and that hedgehogs were her favourite animals.
The air felt less tense but not to the point where everything felt completely alright and normal.

They arrived home, welcomed by soft barks and by soft and delicate smell of the flowers they proudly kept in their garden.
"You have a dog?", little Meredith's voice became excited and as Olivia parked the car, Harry answered with a 'yes'.

"I love dogs!", as she was about to run, she stopped herself. Harry opened the door for her and picked her up, noticing that she was lighter than any child he had held before.
"Can I pet him, p-please?", Harry smiled at her insecure tone and kissed her cheek for the first time.

The little girl blushed and hid her face in his neck, making him want to cry in happiness.
"Of course you can, my angel.", he placed a kiss on her cheek again and let her stand on her feet.
With a happy smile, he looked at how she threw her shoes away and ran on the grass barefoot. Her arms hugging their dog like he was someone familiar, that she hadn't seen in a long time.

Olivia took him by surprise by wrapping her arm around his waist.
She wiped a tear away, yet that didn't stop her eyes from producing more.
Harry noticed and his own eyes started glistening with tears.
The little girl running around their garden was everything to them.

"We finally did it.", Olivia laughed through her tears and Harry repeated the action.
He hugged her tightly and took the chance to cry a little without being seen.
"We did it.", he repeated.

_____________

Welcome to a new #Harry'sFriday! xx

I really loved writing this chapter and I think that next week there's going to be a continuation! :')

_

Short Lil' Questions:

1.) What was your favourite part of the chapter?

2.) What do you think happened before with little Meredith?

3.) What do you think is gonna happen on the future?

_

Thank you so much for reading patiently!

I love you,

belle. xx

. . .

Published the 20th of September 2019.

Harry Styles ImaginesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara