Chapter 36

Julie's POV

Its been over a month since Elliott and Sophia were hospitalized.

They spent valentines day in the hospital, unconscious.

I got a call from Matt today that one of them woke up but I didn't get the chance to ask who.

I knew that Sophia was taken off her breathing tube but she was still unconscious

When I arrived at the hospital Matt was already up in their room. He spends most of his time there now.

I walked in to see Matt standing next to Elliott's bed. Elliott was moving his hands but his eyes were screwed shut.

He was mimicking the way he tried to stop the car. the way his hands moved...

"Matt" I cautiously said as I walked towards him

"He's awake Julie. He can hear you" Matt said while looking at Elliott

"Elliott. I know what happened. are you okay?" I asked him

Elliott still kept his eyes screwed shut and then he started screaming an agonizing scream that nearly ripped my heart open

"It's like he's re-living it. it's a living nightmare" Matt whispered

Elliott stopped screaming and let out a deep breath and relaxed his muscles. He slowly opened his eyes and then looked shocked to see us. shocked and confused.

"Who are you?" Elliott asked

He started screaming and ripping his hair. he put his hands on the sides of his head and screamed.

I quickly walked out of the room and Matt soon followed.

"What the hell matt?!" I shouted

"He can't remember anything or anybody other than that night" Matt said grimly.

"How is he going to remember us?! how is he going to remember Sophia? how is he going to be normal?" I screamed

A nurse came over to us and we told her what was going on.

She went into the room and it was quite for about 2 minutes until we heard Elliott's piercing scream. agonizing and full of misery was heard in that scream.

The nurse came out filling something out on a paper "Mr. Saunders has some memory loss and all he can remember was the last hour before he almost died on that night. I'm afraid this might take a while and a lot of patience to get over. he should get better but take it easy. Now Ms. O'Dowd will face the same problem. neither of them will remember you, other friends, family or even each other."

She left without another word other than a grim smile and "good luck"

I walked into the room again to see Elliott sitting up straight and rocking himself.

His arms were wrapped around his legs and he was rocking himself back and forth muttering something incomprehensible.

"Matt what are we going to do?" I asked him

Matt was staring at a defective Elliott "we wait and help out as much as we can Julie. he's my brother and I won't stop at nothing to help him."

He walked over to Elliott and sat down next to him on the bed.

Elliott looked at him and then continued rocking back and forth muttering something like "bye bye bye bye bye"

"Who is he saying bye to?" I asked

Matt looked at me "to everything he remembered and loved" he put his head in his hands and then stood up

"I'm going to go call our parents and tell them he's awake" he left the room without another word

I sat down on the bed next to Elliott and then his head quickly shot up and he stared wide eyed at the wall as of he just saw a ghost.

He grabbed my arm and his grip was tight. He started to scream and then let go of my arm and started to rock back and forth again. "bye bye bye bye bye"

"Elliott. who are you saying bye to?" I asked calmly

He looked at me with a look of fear "the girl. The girl. the girl. the girl." he started to rock back and forth again, slower this time.

"Who is the girl?" I asked

"Pretty. pretty. pretty pretty" he muttered.

I assumed he was talking about Sophia because she was there when the accident happened.

His hair started to fall down onto his face because it grew a little longer. I was just about to move it out of the way when his head shot up again and he started to mutter

"Not for you. not for you. no no no no no no." he then looked to the side out the window and his jaw dropped

He started to scream in agony again. over and over.

He then looked at me with a side of him I've never seen before. the innocent young boy side

"Please..please help me" he whispered and started I scream again by putting his hands over his ears.

"No no no no no. safe safe safe. pretty pretty pretty pretty. bye bye bye bye." he muttered over and over.

I stood up off the bed and Elliott rolled back onto his side and pressed his legs up to his chest. He put his head down and fell asleep.

I walked out of the room quietly closing the door behind me.

Matt was sitting in a chair in the lobby as he was on his phone.

I sat down next to him

"He remembers something matt" I said

He looked at me and frowned "what?"

I smiled at him "he remembers her. he kept murmuring 'safe,pretty,bye, and stop' he remembers her. he remembers something. he's re-living the science my every day. he's mentally scarred but he remembers her because she was there. she was the last person he saw and talked to. he remembers matt! He's going to get back to normal and she will too. then everything will be back to normal." I said.

He nodded "okay wanna go suck my dick at my place or yours?" he asked

My jaw dropped "fuck you! your brother is mentally fucked up and you want me to suck your dick!" I screamed

He shrugged "ya sure why not?"

I got up and took his hand as I rolled my eyes "fuck you. let's go." I said

"So that's a yes?" he asked

I swatted his chest and kept walking. dick head.

When we got to Matt's place i hung my coat up and faced him "where is Remi now?" i asked him

Matt sighed "with Sam. Elliott is coming here after they discharge him from the hospital, i have to take care of him, get him to remember us and his fiance. Sophia is going to go with you guys when she wakes up and is discharged. She'll remember you and Elliott then we'll make them meet again and they'll be able to talk without screaming and then they'll have sex. end of story"

I took a deep breath "Matt you're making this sound like a cold that they'll get over after a few days. This is brain damage and severe damage at that. Do you really think that once they come home and we tell them who we are they will actually remember? this is real life not a romance novel. who knows how long it will take?"

He looked at me and took a step towards me "that's my fucking brother you're talking about! He's going to get better because that's just who he is, he's going to get better and so will Sophia. He's not damaged! Maye you're the damaged one for thinking he is" he said with the angriest of a tone.

My bottom lip trembled after the harsh blow of his words "I can't believe you said that" i said.

I quickly took my coat and ran out of the apartment. "Julie wait!" i heard him scream. i was too pissed off to stop and listen to his bullshit. 

i ran down the stairs to the front door of the building and ran out, feeling the icy air on my skin.

i opened my phone to see a message from Sam "Sophia is awake...come quick. I don't know what to do"