Ch. 30: The Last Day, At Last (Part 3)

(*Reading back your previous chapters fills you with DETERMINATION.
*You decide to finish the chapter you've put off for so long.

Deep breath. Last chapter. Hope that it's good enough for you guys.)

POV: Y/N, Chara's Void

"YOU IDIOT!"

Blinking awake, I groaned, propping myself up on a hand and making bleary eyes glare at Chara's quite visibly shaking figure.

"Shut up, knifey girl," I growled. "My head hurts."

She chuckled, a complete switch from herself from before. "Well no duh. You just stabbed yourself. And now you're on MY turf. Welcome to my death screen."

I furrowed my brow, looking around. "Wait a second...so the whole time we were meeting up in a place you go to when you die?"

Chara grinned. "Yep! And soon, you'll be dying in here, too! Just like I was!"

I opened my mouth to ask a question, then shut it. "I'm not going to bother asking."

She swooped aside her bangs again—they kept falling in her face, I noticed. "It's probably for the best," she agreed. "That means I get to kill you faster."

I scowled. "That's not happening, sweetheart."

She tilted her head. "Oh, we'll see about that."

Some kind of unidentifiable, catchy theme music started playing, and a Battle began.

My studies back on the surface had informed me well of how Battles worked, but I wouldn't put it past her if she decided to bend the rules a little.

Chara was swaying back and forth with her music, smirking at me with that sick edge to it.

*The bloodthirsty look SHE gives you makes you feel like Death itself is stalking your back.

*You know that SHE will kill you. Are you simply delaying the inevitable?

The four options I hoped I would never see (again) appeared. Fight, Act, Item, Mercy.

There was only one option.

I pressed Mercy.

Chara's grin widened...somehow. "Oh...my dear, foolish Y/N."

Her eyes turned black.

"SINCE WHEN WERE YOU THE ONE IN CONTROL?"

She threw her knife at me, straight as an arrow.

I barely dodged to the side before it whizzed just past my arm and boomeranged back into her hand.

"Oops. Guess I'll just kill you next time."

A shiver went down my spine.

I had no chance to win, didn't I?

I was going to die.

But...maybe I could still make her change! There was a chance there, wasn't there?

...Heh. Even my own subconscious was desperate.

But at each opportunity, I hit Mercy.

I would never hurt another soul.

Not again.

I was, surprisingly, a pretty good dodger, considering my lack of physical prowess (I once fell flat on my face because I thought I was awesome enough to skate across an icy sidewalk—but that's a story for another time). But every once in a while, an attack would hit.