Ch. 23: Day 157

POV: Y/N, ???

I opened my eyes. I could feel the somehow perfect cushion of flowers underneath me. And yet...this was not my first fall. I felt like—no. I knew.

I knew something bad was going to happen.

My body rose from the bed of flowers and walked at a brisk pace towards the exit. A tree branch, I noticed, was clutched in my hands. Tightly. My grip
was unshakable.

I stopped in front of the patch of grass that had a single, rather large flower on it. I was surprised, considering that it wasn't there before. But some other part of me knew it was supposed to be there. It was designed to be there. It was always there.

The flower turned...and it had a face. A grinning face...with a sinister tone in it.

"Howdy, I'm Flowey! Flowey the Flower!"

And of course the flower with a face can talk.

I was already shifting in place impatiently, like I expected his dialogue and wanted to get past it already.

"You're new to the Underground, aren'tcha? I guess little ol' me with have to show you the ropes."

I felt my already vice grip get tighter in exasperation. I wanted to get past this, now.

I zoned out for the rest of the conversation, and let myself get hit with his 'friendliness pellets.' It was scary how I could come up with the name in an instant, even though I didn't listen to a word he had said and I've never encountered him before. Right?

A burst of fire threw him off to the side, and I immediately ran. Not towards the fire...no. I ran around it. There was a goat-woman standing there, where I had just avoided. She didn't seem to notice me as she looked where I was standing with surprise.

"Why, I thought I saw..."

The lady trailed off, staring at the spot I would have been standing. "I thought I saw..."

She hesitated another moment, before turning her back. "Never mind."

I fell into step behind her as she walked into the Ruins—I recognized it from...

From...

Anyway, she didn't seem to notice my presence as I stayed right on her figurative tail. But my world suddenly froze and turned black, and music started playing. A creature called a Froggit was sitting there, staring at me with sad, but slightly determined eyes.

I snarled at it, from somewhere deep within me. Four buttons rose from the ether to offer me a choice. Do I FIGHT, ACT, use an ITEM, or spare some MERCY?

Instantly my hand slammed onto the FIGHT button, and my soul jumped in surprise, confusion, and sadness. Why would I...?

My thoughts trailed off as I stared at the heart-shaped soul in front of me. It was a bright, pulsing red. Yet I could see the edges of it shriveling and growing darker, and latched onto the side of it was a gloopy, almost ink-like leech the color of ink, the color of the night, the complete lack of color, the emptiness of a void. I could see a shade of a black heart infused within the bright red, too.

Frisk and Chara. It could only be.

With a growl, I lifted up the branch clutched in my grasp, and—much to my soul's protest—whacked the Froggit on the head. The blow definitely did a lot of damage, and the monster cowered before me.

*The Froggit is sparing you.

Clear as day, I could hear a disembodied voice that wasn't really a voice speaking to me. Whispering to me. A warning, per say, that was telling me that I didn't have to hurt it again.