Ch. 8: What Lies Between

My eyes flicked open.

Black stretched across my vision. As far as the eye could see, there was simply black.

Then a child, probably around eight or nine, appeared. They wore a huge blue and magenta sweater that didn't fit on them, brown shorts, and dark brown hiking boots. They had cropped brown hair. But where their eyes would be instead were...glitches. They were scattered all around them.

They started speaking.

*You tell Y/N that you were expecting them.

I blinked. "Excuse me?"

*You tell Y/N that you've been waiting a long time for someone to fall into the Underground.

"I...I'm afraid I don't understand."

*You tell Y/N that she doesn't have to understand. You tell her that all will be clear in a moment.

"O-kay? I...trust you. For some reason."

*You tell Y/N that Sans wasn't always the way he was now. You tell her that it wasn't her fault that he was angry.

"I could figure that. But there was another human, wasn't there?"

*...

"It wasn't you, was it?"

*...

"You...you did—"

*You tell Y/N that you didn't do it. You tell her that Chara was the one behind it all. You tell her that you are innocent, and that she is the monster.

"Chara? But...didn't she die from—"

*You tell Y/N that that isn't the whole story. That there is another part not told by Toriel's diary.

"Wait, how did you—"

*You tell Y/N that she'll figure it out soon enough. You tell her to just watch.

"Wha...what do you me—"

White. An endless expanse of white.

I waved my hand in front of my face to see that it kind of lagged. Curious. What kind of world is this?

The air in front me wavered like gas, and an image rose out of the fumes.

Sans. Laughing.

He was wearing those same shorts, as well as the same shirt, but his slippers were pink and he was wearing a blue bomber jacket with tan fur on the hood, instead of a pure white coat. And the oddest thing? Instead of a smile that was laced with pain, he sported one that was happy. Actually happy. It made my chest ache with envy.

Sitting next to him at a bar—Grillby's, I realized—was the child from the black. Except this time, they had no glitches. Their hair covered their eyes, though.

The pair was laughing together. The child was holding their stomach with how hard they were laughing. Once again, a pang hurt my chest.

"That was a good one, Frisk! I will admit, that was a good one."

Even his voice was...so...so...jovial. Some word that meant happy.

The child looked up and nodded, a smile gracing their features. So their name was Frisk. Huh.

*You tell Sans that you've got a skele-ton more rib-ticklers where that came from, and that they're all Sans-ational.

Sans howled with laughter again. "A triple, kiddo! I think I might be overtaken for punniest of the year!" Frisk shrugged.