Ch. 4: You Have One, Too?

I gulped, looking back at Grillby's behind me. I really didn't want to go in, especially after seeing the dust, but I was going to starve if I didn't get food into my stomach soon. Also, I needed to relieve myself. Hopefully there was a bathroom in the place.

The bell dinged again as I entered for the second time. Biting my lip, I walked to the back and behind the bar. I searched the area for anything edible, making sure to both not touch the remains, and not look at them. It was difficult work, but I was able to dig up a stale burger and fries without a peek at the dust. I hopped onto my stool and devoured my food.

Bathroom, bathroom, bathroom!

My bladder was killing me! I whipped my head around, looking for a bathroom. I sighed once I saw the word written above a door. (I don't care if this does not actually exist in game. Seriously, humans need toilets.) I waddled my way towards it, hoping that my systems would have mercy on me. Luckily, they did.

I dried my hands on my leggings as I exited the facilities. Looking around, I saw nothing of note left in here. So I left, the bell ringing once again as the door shut behind me.

Standing in the snow again, I felt a shiver go down my spine. The wind whistled and whispered in my ear. It was...odd. Chilling. I hated it.

My steps crunched in the snow as I set forth from my position, hugging myself in my F/C jacket. Was it now that the fear set in? The fear of complete and utter silence, besides the noise you make every time you move?

I swear a shadow lurked at every corner. My eyes playing tricks on me, I knew. But that doesn't mean my heart wasn't pounding and head wasn't reeling. Was it real after all? Doubt clung to me like the cold.

It was a relief when heat set in. I shook myself, glancing at the surroundings. Instead of the ground being covered by snow, it was dirt. It looked similar to the surface, if I had to compare. A random sign (that might or might not exist in the game, I can't remember) explained to me that this place was called Waterfall. Huh. I could hear the water, but I couldn't see it. Where in the world...?

I wandered around for a while, before I came across a field of glowing blue flowers...echo flowers, I think they're called? I brushed my hand over top of them as I made my way through it, hearing the faint whispers of the dead echo back at me.

As I touched a random one, I froze, and turned to stare at it. Instead of being tiny little voices, it was the sound of crying. A guy, by the sound of it.

"I'm sorry, Papyrus," he whimpered softly. "I'm sorry I couldn't save you from...her. I'm so, so sorry..." He started sobbing.

Looking down, my eyes widened as I realized where this flower was located. There was a raised bed of dirt here, with a stone on top of it. A grave. I kneeled, reading the tombstone to myself.

Papyrus
May He Rest In Peace
And Forever Love Spaghetti
I Love You, And I Miss You, Bro
—Sans

Before I even finished reading, I felt tears welling up and pouring down my face. "You've got one, too?"

I had already put the pieces together, but this kind of confirmed it. This was the skeleton's little brother, like I had psychically predicted. His brother was...dead. Like mine. The red scarf must have belonged to him, which was why the poor guy was looking for it so frantically.

Papyrus and Sans, huh? They must have been a pair. Even though Papyrus wasn't Peter, he was pretty similar to him. Their favorite colors being red and  orange, and the love of race car beds, for two. Also, spaghetti? Peter could live off that stuff and be perfectly happy. Through my tears, now mixed between empathy and sorrow for my own brother, I smiled. I wonder if Sans is anything like me, then?