chapter 7

I awoke to the front door slamming closed. I sat up and rubbed my eyes,

" Carter?" I called out. He isn't supposed to be back until 9:00 tonight. I got no answer. I wearily got out of the bed and slowly opened the door. I peeked my head out looked around the corner. It was 7:00 at night. I usually would be sleeping right now. I slowly stepped out of my room. I heard cursing coming from the kitchen. I didn't have the guts to look so I stood frozen by my door. I heard footsteps going up the stairs. I realized that they were coming my way so I hide behind the bedroom door. The door shielded me from eye view but I left a creak open to see who was approaching.

I saw carter come up the stairs with a gun and a bag. His shirt was bloodied and torn. All over him was blood and dirt. I gasped, I was going to step out of my hiding place when he shouted."FUCK!!!!".In his other hand was beer. I gulped and quickly ran back to bed. I didn't want to face a drunk carter. He was the scariest. A few moments later I felt warm breath hit my ear. I felt my heart rate increase but I didn't move.

"Wynter I know you're awake. " He whispered right into my ear. I didn't budge."Wynter..." he sang in a drunken slur. I felt the breath leave my ear and the bedroom door being closed. I let the breath I didn't realize I was holding out.

It's okay wynter. A few more months, you can do this, I told myself. In reality, I have been working as a waitress before school, so I can leave carters sorry ass. Carter is much older than me he is 22 and I am 16 almost turning 17. My parents died last year in a car crash. I knew he was too old for me but I still wanted to be with him. He made me feel like a grown woman not just some teenage girl with a crush on a cop. I was dating carter then so he decided for me to come and live with him. I agreed. But when I moved in Everything changed. carter showed me who he really is. When we first met he was a charming and caring guy. Now he acts like an asshole half the time. And when he is not an asshole he is 'nice'.

*the next morning*

When I woke up I was sleeping on someone's chest. I opened my eyes and looked up. Carter had wrapped his arms around me and my head was on his chest. Our feet were tangled together. I tried sitting up. But was pulled down.

" Go back to sleep it's early," I heard him mumble before snuggling his head further into my neck. I shuddered in disgust.

" But I have to go out today," I said quietly. I heard him groan before he released me and went back to sleep. I slowly got out of the bed and walked towards the closet. I threw on some jeans, a grey sweatshirt, and black boots. I tied my hair up into a messy bun. I quickly put cover-up over my marks before putting my glasses on. I walked back to the bed and kissed carter's check.

" Bye love see you later," I said. Inwardly cringing.

"Bye," he mumbled still half asleep.

I quietly walked out of the room and down the stairs.

I headed towards the door. I walked out into the snow and got into my car. As soon as it turned on I got myself ready and drove out of the driveway.